Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by delta558 »

turn the volume down?
delta558
Minor Friendly

Post by delta558 »

sorry, couldn't resist. What sort of noise is it - static / interference over the music (or whatever you're listening to)?
lowedb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by lowedb »

First port of call, check the antenna (aerial). Important thingsd are that it's connected properly, and it's got a good earth. If it's in the wing the ground may not be too good!

Doers the cable run past the regulator box? (assuming youare running with a dynamo). If so, move the cable as far away as possible.

Check the earth for the radio itself. As short as possible and to decent metal.

If these don't work you may have to add suppression to the car. Modrrn plug leads / caps with built in supressors, a supression capacitor on the coil, and supresiion of the dynamo are all possibilities. Try to decide what the interference is, by listening if it's related to engine speed, does it change when you switch on lights, and so on.
Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

I had the same problem and I bought a universal supressor thingy from Halfords. It fits 'in line' with the radio wires and is supposed to filter out static etc from coil, alternator etc etc.
And d'you know what?
It works!! :D
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
lowedb
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by lowedb »

In line supressors can work great, if the interference is coming down the power leads. A lot of radios have them built in because they can work so well.

If the interference is being picked up by the antenna from 'the air' then they make no difference.

Knowing what the interference is from will help guess how it's getting in. Typically alternator whine comes in on the wires, ignition noise down the aerial.