Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Door Pillar Switches.

Post by Chief »

Okay the light switches for the doors arent setting off the interior light. I think the switches are fine (well at least one anyway-as it worked then stopped working after a short drive) and so I think there's probably either a lose connection or dirt etc. My question is how do you access the wires for the switches? I thought the interior trim unscrewed to reveal the wiring but I found out I was wrong :D None of the haynes books even mention the door switches. :(
Cam
MMOC Member: No

Post by Cam »

The switches are unscrewed by pushing the button in and inserting a large phillips type screwdriver into the switch head itself and unscrewing the entire thing from the frame. The wiring then pulls out slightly for access.
lowedb
Minor Fan

Post by lowedb »

Often the problem is the earth on the switches. The lamp is fed from the battery, and the wire runs from the lamp to the switch, which grounds it when you open the door.

Not having an interior light on mine , I'm not sure what switches you have, but most cars of this age use a switch that just pushes in on spring clips. The way to access the wire is to ease the switch out from the front, the wire will follow it (if it hasn't fallen off). Usually the problem is corrosion under the spring clips, and moving the switch about cures the problem. However, if you have switches in both doors, and they both stooped at the same time, start at the lamp end. Check you have supply to the lamp!
salty_monk
Minor Fan

Post by salty_monk »

I have the opposite problem, bloody thing wouldn't switch off - easy cure was to take the bulb out & put a mag lite in the glove box for emergencies!! Door switches are always down to bad earth 99% of the time. The only other time I've had a similar fault is when the sprung switch has actually been bent or broken.... Normally easily fixed, just fiddly! Make sure you give the contacts a good scrape & clean around the point where the switch body contacts the car body.
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk/Junk/Sig.jpg[/img][img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk/Suzuki/thIMGP0432.jpg[/img]
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

Well I had a look at one of the wires. Nicee big solid lump of rust keeping the wire connected to the switch :lol: Because of this I cant see whether the piece of metal that you connect the wire to is part of the switch (all one unit) or a seperate thing. If its seperate then the switches wont need replacing :)
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Does the lamp work with the switch fitted to the lamp? If not, suspect the bulb or the supply from the battery - it is fused, see wiring diagram in Hayes books. If lamp works OK on "manual" then switches in pillars most likely to be at fault. Original ones unscrew using large cross-head driver or proverbial mole grips. Non-original may have smaller screw or be a push fit. The wires are routed down the inside of the windscreen pillar and then behind the scuttle panel to the switch - access by removing glove box, but not norammly necessary if just replacing or cleaning switch. Make sure that wire terminals and switch contacts are clean - wire wool / emery paper, also switch has to have good contact with body. Sometimes the spring breaks so that the pluger doesn't pop out when the door is open. A drop of the WD40 works wonders too. Reaplcement switches are available from most parts suppliers, are quite cheap, and easy to fit. Last thought - behind glove box, the wires often join via a bullet connector, and can be loose. Check that too. Good luck.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

i'll have to try wd40 when i find the stuff (it's been moved from where I last put it :) ) the passenger side switch once undone had 1mm of wire free so swapping to a new switch will be hard, unless behind the glove boxes I can free up some more :) i'm trying not to buy new switches if possible so I can buy weather proofing ;)
pskipper
Minor Fan

Post by pskipper »

Of course if you ask your wonderful, charming and amazing brother, he might get all the weatherproofing for you, bring it up at christmas thus saving you the money to buy new switches with :D
Philip, Lynda and the cars.

Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

some people sure are modest about themselves :roll: