Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Wiper Motor sweep angle ?

Post by mogbob »

Can anyone tell me the sweep angle/ gear wheel degrees for a 1966 Minor please ?

Many thanks

Bob
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I'm puzzled to know why you would want that info.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I'm guessing at 110 degrees at the motor.
ImageImage
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Mike
Having dismantled a number of Lucas DR series wipers for various cars it is primarily the gearing /sweep angle that dictates whether the wiper is suitable for your particular classic car.Hoping to pick a cheap "spare " for my moggie owner friend at Beaulieu this weekend.

Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Try to get a two-speed one ! The angle should be stamped on the gear wheel - I 'think' they can be interchanged ??
ImageImage
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

according to owen burton when he looked he could not find a two speed motor with the correct angle for the moggy.. that is not to say that he did not miss one or since he wrote his "book" a two speed motor has not been produced with the correct angle. Unfortunatley the minor drive plate is larger than the 2 speed drive plates so will not fit unless you "turn down" the metal drive plate to fit the plastic gear wheel of the two speed motor.. it is an easy mod and certainly cheaper than buying a two speed motor for the moggy centre in brum.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I'm guessing at 110 degrees at the motor.
it's 360 degrees at the motor!

The wiper sweep is determined by the wiper wheel boxes and the throw on the cable at the 'motor gearbox'.
Early minor 1000's had a shorter sweep (IIRC up to 1962) for clap hands operation, with the later Minors using conventional overlap sweep.
Sorry I've not got my books here or I'd be able to quote which wheelboxes you need (the number is specified on the wheelbox)

The motor itself does not affect the sweep angle - it just rotates. if you change the motor and gearbox then you need roughly the same 'throw' in the cable but on moderns, every application can vary.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - the gear wheel goes round and round - but the placing of the crank determines the intended sweep - which can then be modified at the wheel boxes. Pretty sure the intended sweep used to be marked on the gear!
In the past the 'story' was that Triumph 2000 wiper motors fitted - and were two speed. I never tried it - I simply fitted a rheostat in the feed to the field coil, and by increasing the resistance I weakend the field - and the motor ran faster, but only if the screen was soaking wet. On a dry screen it would stall easily at high speed. I did also buy a two-speed brush plate (which has a third brush) with the intention of fitting it into a standard motor - but that was only 40 years ago - and I still haven't found the time to try it! Still got the brush plate - and a spare motor - maybe someday soon .......
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

The wiper is 110 degrees as Bm states.
O Burton,e know noting, peeps, you simply need the wheel from the rear wiper of a Marina/Ital estate, simples :D :wink:

mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Jonathon
Thanks for the confirmation of 110 degrees sweep angle and thanks to all for their input.
Ray had me going round in circles ( 360 degrees ) for a time but I know what to look out for at Beaulieu tomorrow.
This forum is great, practical information, plenty of opinions and a touch of humour. Perfect.

Cheers guys

Bob
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

if marina / ital with rear wash wipe were rocking horse poo to start with just think what they are now.. unless of course you happen to have a stash? like meastro cranks :wink:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

" a touch of humour " - right - we can put a stop to THAT right away!
ImageImage
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Update
I stripped down the wiper from my friend's 1966 Morris to find a 150 degree gear wheel.
The mounting rubbers were shot and the carbon brushes were down to the holders so need replacing.
The surprise for me was that there was no clip, connector and washer on the top of the gear wheel stud.The connector is the one that makes electrical contact and shuts off of the wiper when it reaches the park position ( the missing segment in the copper ring, inside the dome ).Being new to Moggies is this normal ? or has the previous owner removed said bits ?
Anyone with a parts manual that could clarify for me please, thanks.

Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sounds like it has been 'messed with'!
ImageImage
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

The mounting rubbers were shot and the carbon brushes were down to the holders so need replacing.
that sounds normal for a 43 year old car! If you can't get brushes, you can cut down other motor brushes to fit the holders.

As for the 'clip' holding the cable to the gear wheel - Its 6 years since I had the cap off one, so I don't remember well enough to say. If the pin has a groove then I guess there should be a circlip. Otherwise maybe not.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

I'm coming to the conculsion it's been "messed with ".
The pin does have a groove Ray.The mounting rubbers and brushes are no problem but the bits that have " found a new home somewhere" may well prove to be the biggegst problem to replace.
Another wiper motor to source the three tiny bits of metal.....sounds like a modern automotive engineering solution.." we don't sell the bits to repair Sir, you need to buy the whole thing !! "
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Panic over.Did some more welding at my friend's garage today..great weather by the way.... and I questioned him about the missing bits.He had removed them to a place of safety !!
So all the bits have been reunited with the wiper motor, thank goodness.

Bob