Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gppj25
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Testing Condensers and Coils

Post by gppj25 »

Jusrt in the middle of sorting a few niggly ignition problems on my Traveller - 1098.

Does anybody know the best way to test a Condenser and a coil - and what are the correct resistance values etc?

Thanking you

gppj25
PSL184
Minor Legend

Re: Testing Condensers and Coils

Post by PSL184 »

A 12 volt coil should read about 3.5 ohms - any less and it will fail imminently. No point in testing condensors as they either work or don't work and are cheap enough so just replace.
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I agree - just throw condensers away - or use them as suppressors. Coil is indeed ~ 3 ohms for a 12 volt one (2 ohms for a 'ballast' coil) - between the two low volt terminals. I'm sure i have seen figures for expected values between each LV terminal and the HT - different for each - which is why coil connections should be reversed if swapping battery earth around. Any one know what they are ? Other test for coil of course - is it leaking oil? If so = bin.
ImageImage
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

The secondary circuit test should be done with the meter set to resistance/ohms.Black lead connected to the centre post
( where the king lead going to the distributor exits ) red lead connected to the "plus".The reading should typically be around 5 ohms.
IGNITION SHOULD BE SWITCHED OFF AND ALL THE WIRING TO THE COIL DISCONNECTED before testing.Suitably lable the wires for easy re-connection.

Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's one terminal - but what resistance to the other ? They are different I believe on a good working coil. I'll try testing one later - if the rain lets up.
ImageImage
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

The other test...Primary circuit...basically as already posted by your goodself.
Red lead to the plus terminal, Black lead to the negative.Meter set to resistance / ohms , orginal leads labelled and disconnected, ignition OFF.
Readings generally... Standard Coil ( No Ballast ) greater than 3 ohms ( Ballast ) 1.3 to 2 ohms
Sports Coil ( No Ballast ) 2 to 3 ohms ( Ballasted ) 0.5 to 1.2 ohms

Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - but the readings from each of the LV terminals - to the HT terminal are different I believe. And should be in the range of 5000 to 8000 ohms - NOT 5 ohms!! And no - it's been too cold/miserable etc to go searching in the garage for a coil !
ImageImage