Horn

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
loti
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by loti »

Horn not working MOT looming!! Direct feeding of power from the battery and the horn works, the earthing is clean. I suspect the wire that goes down the steering column from the switch. Any ideas or advice?

Thanks
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

A faulty horn can be caused by a poor connection between the appropriate fuse (I forget which one) and the fuse holder.

Try cleaning the ends of the fuse and the contacts on the fuse holder with fine emery paper or wire wool.

I finally overcame an intermittent poor connection in the fuse holder by wiring two short thick wires onto the ends of the fuse and then soldered a female connector on the end of each wire wire. The fuse could still sit in its holder but the two flying female connectors were pushed onto the appropriate male terminals in the fuse holder to ensure a reliable connection.
Otherwise buy a new fuse holder

[ This Message was edited by: newagetraveller on 18-05-2002 15:28 ][ This Message was edited by: newagetraveller on 18-05-2002 15:29 ]
Willie
Minor Legend

Post by Willie »

Lo, if the trouble is in a faulty fuse as
'New Age' suggests then the INTERIOR LIGHT
will not work either??? The horn is 'live'
AT ALL TIMES, it works when the horn push
supplies the earth side. The horn push-switch varies with the model. Do you have a
centre push or one on the end of a stalk??
The Earth side of the horn is Purple/black
stripe if you connect this to chassis the
horn should work If not then there is no
live supply.
Willie

[ This Message was edited by: Willie on 18-05-2002 19:38 ]
an_avenger
Minor Fan

Post by an_avenger »

Hello, I had similar problems with my horn (when stupid people kept pulling out in front of me I wanted people to hear my horn - British Rail eat your heart out!!!!) Anyway I found that the interior light also wasn't functioning properly! I investigated and found that the interior light and horn is on the same 'purple and black wire' after tracing it to the fuse board it was nothing but a poor connection at the fuse terminal! After cleaning it 'Pidge' is running down the M27 like an Intercity train! If the problem isn't electrical try looking at the horn unit, I encountered a flooding problem inside the horn itself! So much water accumulated inside the 'snail' shape that it muffled out the sound! Give it a try!