Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Headlight flasher

Post by Owlsman »

Thank you very much gentlemen for your help and advice. Please don't fall out over me though, I'm really not worth it :D

To be serious for a moment, the info that I got from both of you finally made the penny drop with me! Basically, all I will be doing is by-passing the 3 x way light switch on the dashboard (plus the dipswitch) and simply connecting up, via a sprung switch, direct to the main-beam elements of the headlights........simples, innit really. :D

You'll perhaps have gathered that in addition to the practicalities of knowing what to connect up/remove/replace/grease or whatever it might be, I like to understand and know why I'm doing it. Every day's a school day and all that........

I'm going to order the 3 way connector from Autosparks plus the appropriate gauge wire (and a single connector for the n/side, to make it right) but before I do may I please pick your brains on a couple of other things:-

Is it worth fitting an in-line fuse in the live feed to the new switch and if so, what rating fuse do you recommend?

I know no mention has been made of a relay, so I presume I don't need one but what, in simple terms, is a relay? I always read of it being recommended, if not essential, when fitting spot lights (which I've no intention of doing) but I don't know why. An idiot's guide to what a relay is or does, would scratch that particular itch of mine.

By the way, I concur with you Gb, that the description of the connectors is confusing! Something that can connect 6 cables is a '6 x way' connector in my book. I thought it was just me! :D

Thanks again guys......both of you equally!
Alan
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Alan

RELAY....,basically, allows one to use a low power circuit and switch, to operate a higher power load.

John ;-)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Is it worth fitting an in-line fuse in the live feed to the new switch and if so, what rating fuse do you recommend?
Personally, it would depend where I was picking the feed up from, but it wouldn't do any harm.
To be picky, the exact rating would depend on whatever you have as headlamps, the original Filament Lamps, Halogen, or LEDs.
LEDs need less than half the Amperage of conventional/Halogen.
But 10 Amp would be OK for either.
Basil the 1955 series II

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Many thanks to all of you. The 'relay link' was very helpful to me.

I've ordered everything I need (connectors, wire, switch etc.) and this afternoon made a bracket for the switch which I'm going to mount behind that lip at the bottom of the dashboard.

Watch this space for, hopefully, a successful outcome.......

Thanks again all. Without you, I wouldn't have even attempted it.

Alan
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Just to finish off - All wired up, fitted and working. I can go out 'flashing' to my heart's content now :D :D

It hasn't taken me a week to do......well, it sort of has but only because the toggle switch from Holden arrived late this afternoon! Posted 1st class 7 days ago. To be fair to Holden, they asked me to hold on for a couple more days after which they would send me a replacement if it hadn't arrived. Can't fault 'em for that response.

Thanks again chaps.

Alan
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Just to finish off - All wired up, fitted and working. I can go out 'flashing' to my heart's content now :D :D

It hasn't taken me a week to do......well, it sort of has but only because the toggle switch from Holden arrived late this afternoon! Posted 1st class 7 days ago. To be fair to Holden, they asked me to hold on for a couple more days after which they would send me a replacement if it hadn't arrived. Can't fault 'em for that response.

Thanks again chaps.

Alan