Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Heater on off switch

Post by mollythemoggie »

Hi just wondering how I'd wore up an on off switch for my heater would I take 12v from the non battery side of the fuse box and if so to which clump of wires or green etc would I wire it to so itonly worked when the ignition is on??

Cheers tom
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Heater on off switch

Post by bmcecosse »

It normally does work only when the Ign is on. Is the switch faulty? You would connect fused live (green wire) to one side of the switch - and the other to the heater cable.
ImageImage
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan

Post by mollythemoggie »

I don't have a heater at the moment and was going to install one this weekend!
re the switch does it need an earth? my car is negative earth..

Cheers,
Tom
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

If you look at the wiring diagram in the manual, you'll see where the heater is connected. If it a standard Minor heater that you're fitting (and which year) or another make?

Basically, you want a fused ignition switched feed to the switch, then switch to heater motor, and then probably an earth from the other side of the motor. Keep warm :wink:
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The heater switch is usually part of the heater so you will just have two wires connected to the heater. Connect one to the fuse and one to earth.
[sig]3580[/sig]
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan

Post by mollythemoggie »

Thanks guys!
if i was to take a feed from the ign unfused side and run it through the firewall to a fuse block would you suggest running 1 larger gauge wire and distributing it along the block or running one for each line going into the block?

I'm wiring up some gauges at the same time and would like them on their own fuses and to put the heater on a fuse etc..

what amp rated fuse would you suggest would work well for the heater
if i had a 4 spade block id like to do the following
1. Heater fan
2. New Gauges
3. Stereo - 10amp fuse
4. Thermo fan

but im not sure what 1,2,4 need in terms of fuse ratings and what gauge wire i'd have going in to split or to run 4 separate wires from the ign unfused side..

Cheers,
Tom
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The standard 35 amp fuses are sufficient for most accessories, normally the heater is standard equipment and runs off the ign. fuse. Gauges are nomally connected straight to whatever they are measuring and the backlight connects to the side light circuit. A stereo will normally have its own in line fuse. The standard fan will keep the engine cool.
[sig]3580[/sig]