Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

New Fusebox Wiring

Post by mollythemoggie »

Hi Guys,

1. Just rewiring my fuse setup.. just wondering what ga wire you'd suggest for the primary battery feed to my new fuse box?

2. Also just wondering what amp fuse I'd need for the interior light.. and can anyone tell me which of the 2 purple wires it is? the thick or thin?

3. There are 2 green wires that are fused by the original fuse box. There is a 3rd green wire below this that appears unfused.. i was wondering what each of those green wires go to.. particularly the un-fused one!

Cheers,
Tom
Alec
Minor Legend

Re: New Fusebox Wiring

Post by Alec »

Hello Tom,

I would use 65/0.030mm, 4.5 mm squared. unfortunately we don't use gauge over here so I don't know what that would be, but 35 amp rating.?

Are you using more fuses than standard as both the horn and the interior light are on the same fuse originally. I would imagine the interior light would be the thinner of the two, but easily checked. If fused seperately I'd go for 5 A.

All three green wires are (or should be) fused, but one is off on a link from the other two but it is still fed by the fuse.

Alec
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan

Post by mollythemoggie »

Thanks for clarifying Alec..
most appreciated!
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Talk slow, think fast!
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan

Post by mollythemoggie »

hahaha what the heck is that picture!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Why are you worrying about fuses - the original 2 fuse set-up works perfectly well. Keep It Simple........
ImageImage
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan

Post by mollythemoggie »

Because I've had electrical issues with the car.. it was sputtering up through the rev range due to electrical issues... the ign switch was burnt out and there was a dodgy kill switch put in by the previous owner.. so I thought I'd take the opportunity to upgrade my wiring do some safe things.. like include a 100amp fuse between the alt and battery.. and a 60amp fuse between the battery feed and the fuse box.. so why not upgrade the wiring at the same time..
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

NO car has a fuse between alternator and battery - that's just silly. And if the fuse between battery and everything else blows - the alternator will put the volts sky high causing all sorts of problems just before it burns out the rectifier pack....... Any spluttering you had before was NOT caused by 'fuse' problems - since nothing that runs the engine IS fused! Ignition switch burned out ??? How on earth (!) did that happen ?? It normally passes very little current! Seriously - keep it dead simple - you are only making a rod for your own back!
ImageImage