Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
scotthesniper
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Problems with full beam

Post by scotthesniper »

i must say first of i think this messageboard is amazing very helpfull people on here and iam now glad to be a part of it.

ok my next problem

was away to put moggy in for mot but on checking the lights there is a problem with full beam

first of i started the morris up not to flatten battery then i pulled switch on dash for sidelights all ok then i pulled swith again for dipped beam all ok then pressed button on the floor for full beam and both dipped went out and i got nothing so then i checked for power at the lights nothing then i dismantled button and disconnected the wires and metered then for continuity all is ok both ways it is bleeping on meter but noticed the 3rd wire in the connection on car goes somewhere else and i have noticed when u push the button for full beam there is no blue light coming on in the speedo can anyone shed some light on this please

much appriciated
scot
d_harris
Minor Legend

Re: Morris Minor Help Again Please

Post by d_harris »

Hi Scot,

I've edited the title, to make it a little more meaningful.

My gut reaction is to check the plug on the top of the dipswitch.

When you are on full beam do the sidelights stay on?

scotthesniper
Minor Friendly

Re: Problems with full beam

Post by scotthesniper »

yes sidelights are still on my friend

and thx for the topic edit it looks better

regards
scot
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

There are three wires to the dipswitch, blue feed, blue/red dip and blue/white main beam. Swop the dip and main beam wires over, if main works and dip does not then the dip switch is u/s. If the main still does not work then check the wires and connections
[sig]3580[/sig]
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

scotthesniper wrote:i must say first of i think this messageboard is amazing very helpfull people on here and iam now glad to be a part of it.

ok my next problem

was away to put moggy in for mot but on checking the lights there is a problem with full beam

first of i started the morris up not to flatten battery then i pulled switch on dash for sidelights all ok then i pulled swith again for dipped beam all ok then pressed button on the floor for full beam and both dipped went out and i got nothing so then i checked for power at the lights nothing then i dismantled button and disconnected the wires and metered then for continuity all is ok both ways it is bleeping on meter but noticed the 3rd wire in the connection on car goes somewhere else and i have noticed when u push the button for full beam there is no blue light coming on in the speedo can anyone shed some light on this please

much appriciated
scot
I would first suspect the bullet connections behind the driver's glove box. Take out the glove box and pull out the blue and white bullet ended wires from the bullet connector and clean then up with fine emery cloth. Put back and the blue light and main beams should now work. If not then perhaps the switch has gone bad.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Scot
The blue/white wires, for the main beam. are the ones to concentrate on.
Mike has covered the three wires going into the dipswitch.When the blue white leaves the dipswitch a double connector takes the supply onto the main beams via another double connector ( left and right ) the other side is the blue/white supply wire to the main beam indicator light behind the dash.
Lack of " indicator light " could either be :- 1.poor connection at the double connector
2.break in wire to the bulb holder.
3.bulb blown.
Once the intial problem is solved following Mike's suggestions and main beam is restored.Pull out the bulb holder from behind the speedo, remove bulb.If you get 12 volts at the bulb holder ( lights /main beam on ) then it is the bulb.No volts ? it is either 1 or 2 that is the problem.
As you pull each connector, twist each bullet end in a piece of emery paper ,to clean it up and give you good contact before replacing.
Bob
scotthesniper
Minor Friendly

Post by scotthesniper »

thx for the great replies guys will check this tonight at the garage

i think the dipswitch is ok cause i made sure there was continuity on both sides of the switch via pressing the button but to make sure i will change the wires over once i have cleaned the bullit conecctions and used some electrical spray. i will also buy and ordinary blub to plug in to make sure its not the bulb i have. i have already tried a bulb in it but got it from the guy next door to my unit and it has been on his shelf for ages by the amount of dust on it plugged that in and still no full beam but got dipped beam but the way my life is going atm that bulb could be gone as well please please i hope not then i will look like a dummy, but i dont think so with the other one being out as well and the one i have already taken out.

so thanks for the detaild info very persice and easy to understand.

kind regards
scot

p.s will keep you posted
scotthesniper
Minor Friendly

Post by scotthesniper »

ok guys once again thx for the info, the problem was the plug under the bonnet snipped it of and made bullit connectors and it works fine now

kind regards
scot
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Scot
Glad you cracked it !!

Bob