Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
silloyd
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: reversing light

Post by silloyd »

Like I said, me being fick, i.e. didn't consider the start up current. Thanks for the explanation.

So, does that mean you are using something like a 20-30A relay?
_____________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Xog and I am from Adderley Park. Greetings earth people...take me to your leaded.

IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

Yes, the 'standard' 4 or 5-pin relay is rated at 30A, or occasionally 20A, so they are ideal. For an original fit type switch the contacts would be rated to cope without a relay, it's only if a microswitch is used that a relay could be useful.

After fitting slightly higher wattage halogen rear side light/brake light bulbs, I had very poor brake light switch life so fitted a relay for this and had no problems for about 3 years since fitting it. Has anyone experience of using LED for the side/tail bulb? Brake light switches should last for ever with virtually no current draw!
Richard

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Richard,
I tried the LED on the rear indicators and wasn't happy as they were no brighter so reverted to halogen which are nice and bright.

Regards
Declan
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Josh

You need a scrap Midget box and the remote can be removed and fits the Minor box and it should have the reversing switch already in it!

H
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's it -10 a penny these Midget boxes......... :roll: As for that talk of 'inrush current' - I seriously doubt it can be even 10 times the running current - if that's true - then switching on the headlights will result in a surge of 100 amps through my headlamp switch....... Errrr - it seems to have survived 46 years so far of that harsh treatment. The reversing light doesn't need a relay - KIS - Keep It Simple.
ImageImage
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

when i had a marina box with overdrive i did not have a relay on the reverse light circuit if that is any help.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

The key point in the original post is using a 5A microswitch as the reverse light switch - it does not have the same rating as a standard OEM fitted switch, hence the suggestion that a relay would prolong its life. Definitely very simple!

The standard light switch is OK for standard bulbs, but when I fitted 100/80W bulbs it ran very hot, so obviously not up to that load - relay fitted and the switch is stone cold.

As already said, using higher powered brake light bulbs resulted in poor switch life, fitting a relay solved that one as well.

Modern cars use a simple philosphy, switches switch relays and relays switch loads - result is many many years reliability.
Richard

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Ahh - but 100/80 bulbs are not legal for highway use! When fitted on rally cars (off road use only) then indeed -a relay would be needed there.
ImageImage
Pab_Moggy
Minor Friendly

Post by Pab_Moggy »

Roni wrote:It would be nice if it would fit but I don't think there is anywhere to fit it on a Minor gearbox.
This might give you another idea. I'm currently in a test phase of this modification.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
This sits on top of the reverse selector plunger, that moves up when reverse is selected, and activates the switch as shown.[frame]Image[/frame]
In forward gears and neutral[frame]Image[/frame]
and in reverse[frame]Image[/frame]
So far so good, it has been reliable, with a test light in the car.
The good thing I find with this setup is that it all fits under the rubber gear lever boot and wasn't that hard to do although it was a bit fiddly getting the switch lever adjusted correctly.
The actual bracket is a corner brace from a hardware store.
Roni, what switch is that? I'm currently looking at fitting reverse lights...
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

a very crafty and neat idea
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

or use top cover from a midget or sprite gearbox
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

The Switch is just one that I found in an electronics store. It was one I bought for something else.
After 4 years it is still going strong, and reliably, apart from needing one re-adjustment of the arm.

callyspoy
Minor Legend

Post by callyspoy »

Holy thread revival!

Been having a look at this and thought i'd give it a go myself in the coming weeks. I have bought myself a couple of microswitches to play with.

A great idea that i hadn't seen before and appears to be more accurate than a lot of other aftermarket types, kudos 🙌👌