Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
d_harris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Sidelight and headlight problems...

Post by d_harris »

OK, so on Friday (having passed the MOT that morning) my sidelights failed, in the dark. Roadside diagnosis was that the wire running into the inline fuse had snapped. As a get home bodge, I wired the sidelights directly onto the battery side of the Solenoid and all was good.

Having tried to fix the problem today, and replaced the inline fuse holder (and I have continuity through it) the sidelights still didn't function on the switch - no power getting to them.

So, next port of call was the headlight switch, which has continuity through the relevant terminals at the relevant setting, so its not the switch. Having run a wire from the battery into the cabin both the sidelights and the headlights work from the terminals which go onto the switch. So the fault is the power running into the switch right? WRONG - there is a good feed from the power supply and it wont run off the new feed either...

I've tried swapping the switch out with no joy and now neither the sidelights, nor the headlights function. GRRR

Any ideas at all, or anyone want to come and have a stab at fixing it? :roll:

I gave up because it was getting dark and my toes were turning to ice!

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Sidelight and headlight problems...

Post by mike.perry »

The fuse is between the switch and side lights
Brown/blue wire from control box to T4. Check live
Blue wire from T8 to dipswitch. Switch headlight on and check at dipswitch
Red/green wire from T1 to inline fuse. Switch sidelight on and check at fuse
Red wire from fuse to all side/tail lights. If still not working fault likely to be at first bullet connector
[sig]3580[/sig]
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

I've replaced the fuse, and if it was one bullet connector then it would only be headlights or sidelights surely?

beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

You are going the right way about finding the problem but you may have an intermittent fault or a couple of faults. I am sure you will find it next time. You probably have a cable where the wire strands have broken within the insulation somewhere. Good luck.
(Brighton is a bit far for me! )

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I was going through a logical checking proceedure which should trace the fault. If the switch is correctly wired, you have a live feed and no power out then it must be the switch.
[sig]3580[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

You may have fitted the 'new' switch upside down ? It has many wiring possibilities ! The simple test is to join the wires at rear of switch - do the lights come on ?
ImageImage