Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oddbod
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Are these things connected?

Post by oddbod »

Having intermittent problems with the green telltale on the indicator stalk not working, but the indicators outside are, the green bit is held on by electrical tape so this is probably an issue, however my son has recently fitted another speedo cable ( cheers Bern Leyther!!) which meant removing the speedo. We disconnected the battery before this was attempted (previous experience showed this was best!) After reassembly the amber light at zero on the speedo comes on, then off again when the engine is revved, but can occasionaly come on when at slow speed too, there is sufficient oil on the dipstick, then the engine charge light (red) has also started to come on when driving (last night) checking with a multimeter shows the dynamo is putting charge out even with all lights lit and wipers running. On an altenator I would expect 13.5v or more, however as Trundle has a dynamo what should I expect its output to be (its showing 12.2v ) when revved a bit. Is it possible all this wierd ness is connected, as it happened immediately after replacing the speedo or is it that weird coincidence of do 1 thing,then summat else goes?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Are these things connected?

Post by bmcecosse »

Can't comment on the green light -except it's probably a loose connection. The orange light = low oil pressure so either live with it, or fit an oil pressure gauge to determine exactly what the pressure is. 12.2 volts is far too low - should be at least 13 volts with lights etc on. First check - is the fan belt tight?
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

then the engine charge light (red) has also started to come on when driving (last night) "
It sounds like he has put the bulb holders in the wrong holes, from memory the speedo lights all have red and white wires, the warning lights will be different colours.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Aye -but 12.2 volts says it's NOT charging..so the red light will be right enough.....
ImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

You may be right but
a multimeter shows the dynamo is putting charge out even with all lights lit and wipers running.
Makes me wonder.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - not if it's only 12.2 volts, it isn't!! So we wait to hear the evidence that it is 'charging' - for which an ammeter is the required instrument. Second best thing anyone can add to a Minor - after the oil pressure gauge of course.
ImageImage
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Well, I checked the oil level today and it was quite low, so I put more oil in and the orange (oil pressure light?) is no longer illuminated (I'll double check teenagers readings FIRST next time) but the red charge light is still illuminated, the fan belt tension seems OK to me, but will try to tweak it this afternoon. The battery seems fine, if a little old,so that may be a problem.
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Found a new fan belt and fitted it. The charge light dims a bit when the engine is revved, but does not go out. Am taking off the dynamo and will open it and clean up what I can find. I have a workshop manual to refer to, but any tips gained from your superior knowledge and experience would be great. :D
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Dont tighten up the fanbelt drum tight otherwise you may damage the bearings on the water pump. Go for about 1/2" deflection on the belt at its longest run.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Check the dynamo brushes have good length - and can slide easily in the holders.
ImageImage
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Yep BMC, the bushes are sliding quite easily, one more than the other, any offers how to make 'em slide easier? I've got the Dynamo apart on the kitchen table at the mo, and am in the middle of cooking tea,so will clean up the copper bits the bushes rub on with petrol when the cooker is OFF later. How to put back together tips would be good, as I can see the Carbon Brushes will have to be compressed to go back on the ?commutator? (Copper bits, I'm going to clean, is that bit called that?) I cant see any breaks or build up anywhere, and no sign of anything burned out, so I'm thinking possibly battery failure?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No -the red light does not indicate battery failure. Just work the brushes back and forth with a wipe clean of course - till they slide easily . Probably best to remove the brushes from the holders as you re-assemble - then pop them back in. Just ease the spring back out of the way - and slide the brush in then allow the spring to make gentle contact. If you have jump leads - you can test the dynamo.
ImageImage
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Jump Leads to test the Dynamo, give us a clue please!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Been mentioned before - join the two terminals on the dynamo with a bit of wire. Connect one jump lead to the earth terminal of the battery and to the body of the dynamo. The other cable goes to the non-earth terminal of the battery and to the wire joining the dynamo terminals. Steady the dynamo with your foot as you do this - it should run as a motor if it is ok. This will also polarise the dynamo if it somehow has the incorrect polarity at the moment.
ImageImage
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

Thanks for all the input. I dismantled the Dynamo, cleaned up the copper bit ( Commutator?) where the Carbon Brushes run, I also cleaned up the Brushes so they ran easier, my Son reassembled the outer by using a couple of Cable Ties to hold back the Springs on the Bushes, put it back on and fitted a new Fan Belt. Bingo, the charge light goes out as it should and we are charging at 13.5v on a Multi-meter, Result :lol: Back on the road again!
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

I bought one of these indicator stalks recently. So far so good. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330814257511? ... 1423.l2649
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Great success!
ImageImage
oddbod
Minor Fan

Post by oddbod »

daveyl wrote:I bought one of these indicator stalks recently. So far so good. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330814257511? ... 1423.l2649

Thanks for the link davey, just at the minute (and for the forseeable) keeping Trundle going is the main focus, this Car earns its living, ferrying kids, shopping and normal stuff. If I come into some brass, Trundle will get a makeover, this is, honestly, the First vehicle for a long time that I have a relationship with. Big up Moggies!