Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Fingolfin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Silly pull-switch 'solenoid' question

Post by Fingolfin »

I'm not sure where to post this -- 'electrical' probably, but maybe 'bodywork' or 'other.'

Anyway, the thing is, Mog has an earlier pull-switch type "solenoid," but the center 'punch' sort of thing (that you push to engage the switch when you're in the engine bay, NOT the thing in the dash) is just a small bare rod of metal, and it hurts pretty badly to push it without some kind of thick gloves on.

So here's my question: is there supposed to be some kind of plastic or rubber cover on this 'punch'? Or did Morris just want to cause mechanics pain when they started the car from outside? :lol:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Silly pull-switch 'solenoid' question

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Seems they were bare, I have the same complaint and am keeping an eye peeled for some suitable rubber thingy to put on the end.
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Then the results are in: Morris Motors was sadistic. :lol: Let me know if you run across any such rubber thingies.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!

lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

which causes the most pain a moggie or X -factor :roll:
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

I'm not familiar with the early pull type solenoid but would this be appropriate
http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/search?query=621
Item 621 is a Lucas part number 760130
Bob
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The early starter switch is not a solenoid, just a mechanical method of making a circuit between the battery and starter motor. If the switch is stiff to operate check that the cable has a clear straight run from the knob to the switch and is not frayed or damaged.
The cable can be removed from the back of the switch and the switch can be removed from the battery and starter cables. Try oil in the back of the switch and if still no improvement replace the switch.
Last edited by mike.perry on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Fingolfin,

I don't believe it was intended as an under bonnet switch, it's just it's design. If you would like to fit something that gives that feature with a rubber push button, get a Jaguar Mk 2 solenoid and replace your pull switch. You'll also need the Jaguar push button switch to start it from inside the car, otherwise wire it through a conventional ignition switch?

Alec
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The earlier switch is arguably more reliable than a solenoid. You could get a wooden button turned up to fit on the rod, just as long as it sits far enough up the rod to allow the rod to fully depress. I've always used that rod as an under bonnet switch.
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Did nobody notice the scare quotes around "solenoid"? :roll: I know it's not actually a solenoid. And regardless of whether or not it was an intentional design, pressing it from the engine bay does engage the starter motor -- meaning I needn't replace it!

The switch isn't stiff to pull inside or push outside, but it's painful when pressing from the engine bay, because the 'rod' or 'shaft' or what have you has quite a small radius. All I wondered (sorry if I've given anybody pause) is whether or not that little 'rod' was supposed to have a plastic cover on it.

Sim, that's a good idea with the wooden button. Thanks! :wink:

MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Under the bonnet I always use a small hammer - not to hit, but using the head as a hand hold and the end of the handle to press on the switch rod. Works for me, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!