Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidpidge
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

sf34 semaphores

Post by davidpidge »

Hello all,

Does anyone know if the older lucas sf34 trafficators can be used in place of the standard sf80 ones? Any info is obviously appreciated in regard to trafficators.

David
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1956 Traveller - work in progress

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Re: sf34 semaphores

Post by davidpidge »

I just looked through a few posts regarding wiring of semaphores. One post had a photo/diagram of the trafficator switch with 4 connections along the bottom. My switch only has 3 connections at the bottom and one at the top.

[frame]Image[/frame]

We're going to disconnect the modern flashers and just have trafficators so shouldn't it be straight forward wiring them up to the switch? I've looked through other posts and seen the link to the SeriesMM website with a combined trafficator/flasher wiring diagram but I don't think thats much use to us.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

Something else i've just noticed. There's no light on the switch. Isn't this an Mot requirement or do you just need a falshing light on the speedo to show the indicators are on?

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I think with trafficators you are ok without a warning light - but why not connect one anyway? Just connect it between the two outputs. You will need to completely remove the old flashers - or else they will need to be working.
ImageImage
stevey
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by stevey »

on traveller and 4 door saloons, you can see the trafficator working so you dont need a warning light, on the 2 doors and convertibles, they are low down, so you cant see them from the driers seat and so you would need a warning light. So your safe enough.

lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

just having semaphores ,is an accident waiting to happen,modern drivers expect flashers and a high stopping light,I know it's difficult but It's a monster job to re-educate the rest of the public,most do not understand hand signals I give on my bike :cry:
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

cheers. I didn't realise that being able to see your own trafficators meant there was no need for a warning light. Also a good point about removing non-working flashers. Cheers bmcecosse.

In regard to safety. I consider myself an experienced driver and have never relied on indicators alone when driving. Nothings better than looking with your own eyes. I only had trafficators on my first moggie and never had issues. I never really used them unless it was dark when they showed up better anyway.

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

You must have
A warning light or
A timer/self cancelling switch or
Be able to see the trafficator in a mirror
Last edited by mike.perry on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

You should have a spare light on your speedo (top left I think) that can be wired up for a warning light, just run a wire over from the switch.

Too many Minors so little time.....
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

David I'm sure your a great driver ,It's the other drivers some of whom are speed morons,or busy chatting ,texting ,face booking or tweeting their "friends"
Last edited by lambrettalad on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Seconded!

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

I beleive the SF34 was fitted to very early MM Lowlights and was then superceeded by the SF80. As far as I know the fitting bracket is the same for both but you need to check the length of the lens as it may be slightly longer. SF80s are easier to fix if you break the lens !
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
davidpidge
Minor Fan

Post by davidpidge »

sparesman wrote:I beleive the SF34 was fitted to very early MM Lowlights......SF80s are easier to fix if you break the lens !
I believe they were fitted to the early models. And we got a pair of SF34s in excellent condition for less than the price of one SF80. Probably because you cant replace the parts they're not very popular.