wiring a late control box

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jrgbrowne
MMOC Member: No

wiring a late control box

Post by jrgbrowne »

This is going to sound very basic, but I'm tracing a fault with the left hand side indicators not flashing and need to understand the wiring of the spade fittings on the control box. I can''t find the detail anywhere. The wiring diagram talks about connections 1-8, but the box has letters on it and I'm can't seem to find anywher that tells me what connects where.

I'm fairly certain that the explanation is somewhere in this forum, but I'm new to this and it will save me so much time if someone could just detail the pins from left to right, front and back looking at the unit as mounted on the bulkhead.

many thanks in advance

:o
katy
Minor Legend

Re: wiring a late control box

Post by katy »

The control box has nothing to do with improper operation of the indicators. The 1-8 connections are on the indicator RELAY UNIT which is mounted (I believe) on the inner wing. :D
Talk slow, think fast!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

By 'control box' we normally think of that as the Regulator Control box for the dynamo - and as above - nothing to do with indicators. However I guess you mean the RB10 Relay box..which controls the flashing rear brake lights on early cars. Is that what you have ?? I can't specifically help with that - but someone who can will be along shortly - I'm sure.
ImageImage
jrgbrowne

Post by jrgbrowne »

Mine is a very late 2 door saloon ('71) (passed my driving test in it) and the box I'm talking about is the 8 way spade connector Lucas unit on the driver side bulkhead (left hand side when looking at it), which I believe does have an impact on the indicators as the circuit goes through it.

Unless someone knows of another 8 connector box somewhere in the engine bay? I can't find one, and pulling the odd wire off this one stops the indicators from working, so it must have an effect. I just don't want to join the worng thing to the wrong bits.
jrgbrowne

Post by jrgbrowne »

You are, of course, quite right. THe unit I was looking at is the control box/regulator thing and nothing to do with the indicators.

I can quite clearly see the flasher unit, hear it clicking and feel it getting warm. What I can't seem to find is the indicator relay box. I'm thinking that being such a late model (MA2S3D) the DB10 had been replaced with something, and I'm jiggered if I can find it. The loom seems to go past the fuse box, control unit and then straight down to the right hand headlamp and horn.

My thinking is that if I can find the junction box (relay) I can swap the LH and RH wires and check that the wiring to the actual lights is intact. If not then I need to look downstream, and if yes I need to look upstream towards the indicator switch.

all help much appreciated
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Go to the website http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk and then search product code " 140105 ".
On that page you will find the link to the wiring diagram you need.
You need to check out Terminal No 2 Left hand Front flasher and Terminal No 3 Rear flasher and stop light.
Conventional colour wiring for left hand flashers should be Green / Red ( marker / stripe ).
Bob
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Your car, "a very late 2 door saloon ('71)" may not have the "RB10 Relay box".
If you have the BMC manual there is a wiring diagram on page N.44 that shows the wiring w/out the RB10.
BTW, have you checked/replaced the bulbs?
Talk slow, think fast!
bufferzone
Minor Friendly

Post by bufferzone »

right, should be just the flasher unit indicated as number 43 on the wiring diagram on page N44. also check behind/under the glovebox behind the steering wheel that all the connectors are connected. there are about 7 wires that come from the indicator stalk, down the steering column, then up under the glove box, and connect to the loom by bullet connections (these are not shown on the wiring diagram). good luck.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There is no 'indicator relay box' on a 71 car..... The wiring goes straight from the flasher unit to the switch on the column. Why do you think otherwise?? Look at the simplified and colour coded diagram at the start of this section..........
ImageImage