Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: No

Re: Car not starting with ignition on.

Post by bmcecosse »

But earlier - you told us there was no power to the coil - or the fuel pump. Only common link is the CONNECTIONS at the solenoid........ Test the solenoid you removed - I bet it works just fine...
ImageImage
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Whats the point? I'd really rather not mess about with it now its working.

d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

I said I suspected no power to the coil, the fuel pump was a dodgy onnection

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

We can only go with what you tell us...... you seem to have an awful lot of 'bad connections' I'm not suggesting re-fitting the solenoid - just test it off the car........
ImageImage
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Ok, I got there and found the symptoms as described...

1st thing was I removed the RAC bodges then looked at what was left.

A bit of judicious fiddling around, and swapping out the ignition switch for a known good (which made no difference) found a dodgy connection on terminal A or A1 (can't remember - yellow with brown wire) - fiddling with the ignition on go the ignition/charging light lit. This got got the car running, but with no ignition controlled circuitry live. An inspection of the fuse found it was blown (yes I should have done it before re-instating the bodge, but didn't). As I didn't have any spare fuses kicking about I put a spade one on with a bit of dodgy wiring, which got everyrthing running for a few seconds - until it blew again.

Looking for wiring faults... I removed a wire from the ignition controlled side that went to a radio ISO socket, and disconnected the fag lighter (which was rolling around loose in the glovebox area, with plenty of potential to touch bare metal... replaced the fuse and all was well once again (except it needs a glass fuse).

So... 1 dodgy connection and 1 rather silly place to put an un-insulated fag lighter socket.

I suspect the dodgy connection failed, and then there was a bit of mucking about under the dash which disturbed the fag lighter and blew the ignition controlled fuse...

Im guessing the dodgy connection was the cause of the mis-diagnosed solenoid.
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good fix Matt - well done. Difficult to diagnose at a distance when we only get half the story........... :roll:
ImageImage