Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MCminor11
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Petrol pumps

Post by MCminor11 »

Why do the petrol pumps on my 1955 minor keep failing?; I have had 2 new and 1 reconditioned pumps in 3 years. Should I have an inline petrol filter fitted or am I just unlucky!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Petrol pumps

Post by bmcecosse »

No! No extra filter - the pump has a filter in the base. I can only suggest poor quality replacement pumps - the originals generally last a good 40 years or so..and then just need new points. Well worth checking for rubbish in the fuel tank - and/or in the pipe from tank to pump.
ImageImage
MCminor11
Minor Friendly

Post by MCminor11 »

Thanks, I shall have to take one of the spares I now have apart and see the filter. If it is blocked then I will check the fuel tank!
katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

You don' have to take it apart to see the filter. Just remove the inlet line and then remove the fitting that the inlet line was fastened to and the filter should come out.
Talk slow, think fast!
MCminor11
Minor Friendly

Post by MCminor11 »

Hi, just to say I would like to take it apart to understand more about it's make up ( not mascara!) I have taken the filter out before but with one pump pumping out but not pumping in and, the other not pumping continuously, I am very curious. They have all been SU pumps from reputable companies. The next one is reconditioned from club spares! Maureen
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Remove the end cap, switch on the ignition and reconnect the supply wire, you should be able to see the points opening and closing and the rocker hrowng over
[sig]3580[/sig]
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

If you despair you could always fit a good old mechanical pump - no possibility of sudden failure there.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Be careful taking it apart, unless the diaphragm is faulty, as there is a procedure to reassembly. Points are usually to blame.

MCminor11
Minor Friendly

Post by MCminor11 »

Thank you for the advice. I will take great care. Usual trick, white paper underneath, ban the cat from the room and count them out and count them back in again! Maureen
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Just 2 things to add.
I recently had a bad experience with supermarket fuel that choked not one but 2 in line fuel filters on my modern.
Quite common apparently.
Also I fitted a new electro-mechanical S.U. fuel pump to the Morris at a time when they had some issues with component parts breaking down, (probably around a year ago,) in my case after just 9 miles or so, when the pump cooled, the falt disappeared.
I sent it back for a replacement and the falt was cured.
Where angels fear to tread
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

moggiethouable wrote:Just 2 things to add.
I recently had a bad experience with supermarket fuel that choked not one but 2 in line fuel filters on my modern.
Quite common apparently.
This is precisely what I've been saying for years. This petrol is cheap for a reason. Use a quality brand fuel and stick to it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Nothing wrong with supermarket fuel -it comes out exactly the same refinery as any other fuel - and they sell huge volumes, so there is little possibility of getting 'stale' fuel with bits in it.... I use nothing else, in all my cars, and have never had the slightest problem.
ImageImage
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

bmcecosse wrote:Nothing wrong with supermarket fuel -it comes out exactly the same refinery as any other fuel
Exactly what all the other misguided creatures say. Sure it comes out of the same refinery. There are little to no additives in supermarket grades - but if you want to run on that bilge water. :roll:

When Mick Philpott torched his house, forensics discovered exactly the two brands of petrol he used because of the composition/additives.

Also, it has been a source of constant wonder to me why Formula 1 teams don't run on Tesco's finest. If you suggested they did, they'd laugh you into next week. :lol: :roll:

I suppose you still lubricate your steam locomotives with tallow.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Here we go another climate change debate. :roll:
Next time you watch formula 1 look for the tesco logo on the fueling pipes!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There is some 'tallow' in some of the oil grades we use... Go stand outside a refinery and watch the different 'brand' tankers roll in and out.... The days of the Driver adding a bottle of 'benzine' to the tanks (National Benzole) are long gone...
The F1 cars don't run on 'petrol' as we know it - which I do think is wrong. Just think of the sponsorship deal if they did use Tesco's finest........ :lol:
ImageImage
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Perhaps I should add the fuel problem was purportedly because the local supermarket do not let the fuel settle after a refill.
The theory is that when the underground tanks are refilled this stirs up sediment,if we fill up immediately we transfer the sediment to the tank in the car.
This is all heresay I hasten to add, from the mechanic that looks after the MOT on my daily and the Morris.
I was one of many locally however that suffered fuel starvation problems, cured when the fuel filters were changed.
Where angels fear to tread
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I would have thought that could apply to all storage tanks.