Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Austingirl
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

dip lights not working - main beam good

Post by Austingirl »

Hello, I've got a problem with my headlamps. I'm sure it's an easy fix but would appreciate your guidance. Neither headlamp works on dip but both are fine on main beam. It started two days ago and a simple "flip em off flip em on again" rectified it, but last night all the switch flipping in the world didn't help :D
What to do, I have wd 40 and lots of electrical tape but limited knowledge and skills!

Ianintenbury - don't tell my dad!!
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: dip lights not working - main beam good

Post by simmitc »

It could be the dip switch, a loose wire, or both bulbs blown (unlikely). Have a look at the switch and check that all three wires are firmly in place. Blue = power from on/off switch, blue/white = main beam, blue/red = dip beam. Note the position of each in case you remove them!

Do you have a multimeter? It will make the next stage of testing much easier. You can normally pick up a basic one for under a fiver.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Ian
At the foot dip switch, left of the clutch pedal , under the carpet, check that the dipped headlight wire ( Blue / Red colour ) is still firmly attached to the lucar connector.
Clean the connection ( emery / sand paper /a little WD40 on a cloth ) to obtain clean metal and refit connection.
If still no joy, check wiring has no breaks in it.
Duff switch ? maybe but not so likely so try everything else first.
Report back for further input, if necessary.Good luck with
Bob
Austingirl
Minor Friendly

Post by Austingirl »

Ta muchly

I'm a Jen not an Ian - my Ianintenbury was a request to fellow forum user Ian not to tell my Dad that I was seeking internet assistance :)

I don't have a multimeter but I'll pop one on my chrimbo list . Will try the suggested things and report back
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Jen
Apologies.
Bob
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

For a simple check: get your head and hands under the dash to see and reach the dip switch. Leave the blue wire in place, and swap the other two over. If the dip beam now works, but the main beam doesn't, it was the switch at fault, and you can at least drive the car around town while you decide what to do next.

Kevin
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

I'd start by checking the earth connections with the dipped beams on then follow up with checking a bulb.
It's unusual for both to blow, but not unknown.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Not liable to be the earth as the main beam uses the same earth. Another place to check is the bullet connectors with the blue/red wires down beside the offside inner wing under the bonnet release rod. These get corroded as they get wet. You can clean the bullets but if the sleeve is rusty inside you will have to renew it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-of-10-DO ... 231e60a1f1

This will give you a good idea of what they look like (other sellers are available!)