Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

2 speed wiper with wash without stalk

Post by mollythemoggie »

Has anyone done 2 speed wipers and wash without using a stalk style switch I.e a push pull or rotary in way of the old one?
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan

Re: 2 speed wiper with wash without stalk

Post by mollythemoggie »

Just wondering if something like this would work with a w knob on front and then you could turn it
http://purperformance.com/i-18378115-pa ... witch.html
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have a single speed wiper with electric washers using a light switch in place of the wiper switch. I have used a toggle switch and a pull switch on each car
[sig]3580[/sig]
mollythemoggie
Minor Fan

Post by mollythemoggie »

Thank Mike do you use an intermittent circuit as well?
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

2-spd and intermittent can be done, but requires a 4-position switch (off/int/spd1/spd2) that only appears to be available in a 'rotary' format'.

I got two 3-position marine pull switches from the USA and robbed the second one of external terminal parts to create a 4-position, but it is not an easy thing to do, unless you have a lathe to make some very small internal contact studs. Definitely not 'commercial' as it took me many hours to do it. I also adapted the new switch to take a standard Minor 'W' wiper knob, so visually all looks original. Good fun and very satisfying when it all finally worked as it should!

The first circuit below is for Lucas 2-spd wipers using a standard Minor lighting switch. Two 5-pin changeover relays are required:
[frame]Image[/frame]
The second circuit is for Lucas 2-spd wipers + intermittent (I use a separate flick switch for the washers) - using the VW '99' relay unit gives programmable wash/wipe and works extremely well:
[frame]Image[/frame]
Finally a circuit using the Maplins intermittent circuit with single speed wipers (there is a +ve earth version of this diagram as well):
[frame]Image[/frame]
Richard

mollythemoggie
Minor Fan

Post by mollythemoggie »

Wow Richard! Looks like you've done your homework and then some! What if you took this and did more relays like the moggie switch setup and added intermittent? http://www.partdeal.com/cole-hersee-pus ... 12-bx.html

That vw setup looks really interesting
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

That switch looks very similar to the ones that I bought, but more likely to be exactly what I was trying to find last year!

The switch I bought 'said' it was 4 position, but it was not. This one looks like it should be possible to achieve any combination of 1-spd/2-spd wipe/intermittent - it will depend on the internal and external links and switching arrangements. Should be able to adapt the end to take a standard Minor 'W' knob as well.

Mine has similar external connections that I reduced in width slightly, so that standard 17.5A Lucar push-on connectors would fit.

They say they will ship to the UK, I wonder what the cost would be?
Richard

mollythemoggie
Minor Fan

Post by mollythemoggie »

Would you need relays like your standard light switch diagram? I also found this by the same manufacturer http://www.partdeal.com/cole-hersee-pus ... -7014.html
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

The 'VW' wiper/washer relay route needs one 4-pin relay in addition to the VW 99 relay. The 4-position switch needs to be understood first, as it and/or the circuit might need modifying. The 'off' position does actually have a function for the 'park' circuit, which quite possibly could be achieved with an additional relay if 'your' switch has no connections made in the 'off' position. The first position would use a relay to 'cancel' the off position circuit.

The VW relay is available on eBay for ~£20 (they are £50/60 new at least) - need to get a spare, as I bought mine new around 10 years ago.
Richard