Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

series 11 buying a new loom

Post by alexandermclaren »

Having to go down the route of buying a new wiring loom for the 1953 series 11,as it was totally shot and dangerous. My question is this,,,,, looking at the photos of new looms some,if not all have what I would describe as little to no connections on the ends of the wires ,, can anyone enlighten me on which suppliers to avoid , or are the looms all supplied to different motor parts dealers from the one manufacturer , untill I can physical see them I have my reservations as to who would give me the least hassle when it comes to fitting , and also to bear in mind I would like to at least try to keep it all as original as far as is possible

ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: series 11 buying a new loom

Post by ManyMinors »

The first thing to do is to check that your CAR is "as original" because you want the loom fitting to be as straightforward as possible. The reason a Series 11 loom doesn't have many connections is that many wires were simply attached with grubscrews originally (for example to the voltage regulator, fuse box and most switches) The later "Lucar" type push-on terminals came later but many 1950s cars now have 1960s replacement items. The loom I fitted to my car came from Bull Motif but no doubt they bought it in from a loom manufacturer. If your car differs from standard in any way I would order the loom direct from somebody like Autosparks who will custom build it to suit, for example, an alternator, or a later type voltage regulator, or flashing indicators....

Once you have your new loom, snip every connection on the car, leaving an inch or two of original wiring attached at every connection. Then remove the old loom. Next, fit the new loom into position and then, one at a time, remove the remaining piece of original wire from each component and attach the new one. Obviously a wiring diagram is essential!

Being an early car and having cloth covered wire, it'll probably be hard to read the original colours. It is up to you whether you choose cloth or plastic covered cable for the replacement but the plastic type certainly are easier for fault tracing in the future!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above - Lucar hadn't been invented - so it will mainly be grub screws. Ideally - 'tin' the lead ends before fitting to the equipment. I would also run the new rear harness INSIDE the car rather than underneath in the mud and salt.... And - print off and laminate Barry's excellent wiring diagram at the head of the electrical section - although not aimed at your age of car, it's still a good basic guide to what colour cable should be going where!
ImageImage
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I've never seen the rear wiring harness on a Minor anywhere except the inside of the car :-?
alexandermclaren
Minor Addict

Post by alexandermclaren »

Many thanks too you both for your guidance and support , somehow I had forgotten how old she is and was built before lucar connections your both correct,
I suppose she is a bit like myself,old but worth holding on to haha

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Must have been moved then - normally runs down beside the clutch then along through the X member and up into the rear floor area to feed the rear lights and fuel sensor...... Where do you see it 'inside; the car ??? :-?
ImageImage
gordonbuckley

Post by gordonbuckley »

can anyone please help me find " Barrys Excellent wiring diagram" I'm trying to refit an indicator stalk
gordonbuckley

Post by gordonbuckley »

can anyone please help me find " Barrys Excellent wiring diagram" I'm trying to refit an indicator stalk
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I think Barry's Excellent Wiring Diagram appears 3rd thread from the top of this section.It's one of the locked topics posted by LouiseM dated October 4th 2009. Be aware it's a simplified diagram for a post-1964 Minor and will differ in some details from the Series II standard wiring.
1956 4-door called Max