Electronic Ignition Kits

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rory
MMOC Member: No

Electronic Ignition Kits

Post by Rory »

I am looking to fit an electronic ignition kit to replace the points and condenser in my 1969 Traveller. There are several on the market, is there a preferred option by those who have fitted one of these kits to their car?
liammonty
Minor Legend

Re: Electronic Ignition Kits

Post by liammonty »

I fitted the Pertronix (Aldon) Ignitor with good success to my T2 VW. I believe Aldon also do this for the Lucas dizzy in the Minor. I'd be wary of fitting a cheap one, as there are numerous stories of people being left stranded by them.
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

i fitted one like this , had now for 2 years no problems

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor- ... lidxcsEGAw
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

A lot of us have found the best way forward is to purchase the item in the link above (Samuria). This way you get a nice new dizzy with electronic ignition already inside and a new vacuum advance unit as well. Make a note before removing your old one of it's position relative to the engine and with the cap removed where the rotor arm is pointing. The fitting of the new one is a reverse of the removal of the old one in exactly the same place. Once you have the old dizzy out buy new points and condensor (known good ones not lucas branded unless NOS) and fit them ready for use. Keep this in the boot and if you ever have trouble with the ignition and suspect the dizzy you can quickly change it over and see. Might also help if you come across a broken down fellow enthusiast in need :lol: :lol: :lol:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I too would vote for the complete NEW dizzy as above - but if the old one is working when you remove it, just keep it exactly as is - then you KNOW it will be working if you have to help out a fellow owner.
ImageImage
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

accuspark are very good ive fitted 2 in the past very happy with the system i have fit and forget , another good one is distributer doctor .
[sig]5641[/sig]
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

seconded the accuspark
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

Thirded Accuspark :D
Got them on my Traveller and Series 111 Land -Rover. Brilliant!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Some folks get in a mess fitting the 'kit' -so the safest/easiest option is a complete NEW dizzy. Fit and forget. Any problems - (and are very very few reported) - you just send it back.. Whereas with a kit - there will always be arguments about whether the kit was fitted correctly/correct polarity/correct coil used etc etc. Make sure your car is -ve earth before ordering a dizzy.
ImageImage
floralgibbs

Post by floralgibbs »

Basically, Electronic Ignition Conversion Kit replaces your points, condenser with a simple negative earth magnetic pickup module. You have zero maintenance after used it and strong spark every time. I just used it because the main thing is that It has strong spark always and zero level maintenance.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Where's Rory gone then :roll:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As so often seems to happen these days - start a thread, then ignore the answers and the time and effort people have put in to offering their experience and advice..... :cry: :roll:
ImageImage
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Monty-4 »

I have an Accuspark "Stealth" kit fitted and have had an issue with the insulation on the provided wires from the sensor being very soft and splitting. Careful how you fit it if you do.
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.