Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stoneporch
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

temperature gauge

Post by Stoneporch »

Having suffered some dramatic overheating in the past, and having just realised that the sensor on my electric cooling fan isn't working, I wondered how to go about fitting the above. Is there an electronic version, or does it require a capillary tube? If the latter, where would the sensor go? I have the marina 1275 engine with a large blanked off nut just under the oil filter (passenger side rear of engine) but there also seems to be some kind of sensor just beneath the thermostat housing. I haven't yet bought the gauge. I will of course replace the faulty fan sensor, but don't want to get caught again. Any advice gratefully received.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: temperature gauge

Post by bmcecosse »

The nut under the filter is the oil pressure relief valve - don't touch it! The sensor position is on the head - just under the thermostat housing. Electric is easier - feed it from the 10 volt supply for the fuel gauge. Capillary is fine too - but take great care to protect the tubing - and you may need an adapter to fit the sensor bulb into the head - same position as the electric sensor. The real question though is - why is your engine overheating? Minors are well cooled with that big radiator.
ImageImage
Stoneporch
Minor Friendly

Re: temperature gauge

Post by Stoneporch »

Thanks for the reply. I was caugtht out by a failed head to block hose, and then by a failed water pump both whilst touring France in a car that had seen little use for several years.Mea culpa!I think I will go with the electric option. Thanks again.