Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AminorWierdo
MMOC Member: No

Indicator buzzer or click modification

Post by AminorWierdo »

Hi everyone
New to the forum and also new to being a proud Traveler owner (1971 1000 Traveller).
I have heard of a indicator modification that makes the indicator buzz or click so you remember to turn it off. To be very honest I was alerted to my failings by a friendly fellow Morris owner who was following me and noticed I very rarely turned off the indicator, if ever. The curse of modern car ownership most of my life!
Does any one know of an 'official' modification or at least a trusted one? I'd be highly appreciative. Sorry if there is another forum page on this be I tried searching and came up blank.
Thank you very much.
AmW
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Indicator buzzer or click modification

Post by panky »

Hi and welcome :)
The indicators are supposed to be self-cancelling (mine don't :-? ) but you should be able to wire in a buzzer of some sort to indicate they are operating. Maybe Maplin have something that might work.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

You can fit a buzzer (personally I would find that very annoying!) if you don't find the warning light sufficient(?) but as above, they SHOULD self-cancel, so it is worthwhile checking and adjusting the self cancelling mechanism :wink:
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I had a buzzer but then fitted a cheap automotive relay. Just connect it between the P terminal on the flasher can and ground. It makes a nice pleasant clicking sound and not annoying like a buzzer. Mount it behind the glove box or under the parcel shelf. If you prefer the buzzer get one with 75dBA and use layers of tape to quieten it.
The relay is the better way to go by far.

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good driver will automatically cancel the indicators as soon as not required - no need for buzzers or lights - just pay attention ....
ImageImage
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

bmcecosse wrote:Good driver will automatically cancel the indicators as soon as not required - no need for buzzers or lights - just pay attention ....
I'd best remove my indicator warning light bulb then :wink:
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

Whislt agreeing that a "good" driver will cancel an indicator, I'm sure that everyone has the occasional lapse, and anything that helps to improve driving is a good idea. If I recall correctly, a warning light for indicators is required for the MOT, so you must have one of those. For those used to more modern vehicles then a buzzer or a clicker as a reminder is better than driving down the road and confusing other drivers, and thus arguably a safety feature.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I like the relay idea :)
Roni
Minor Fan

Post by Roni »

Just did this in the car. Works well. I mounted the relay onto a spraycan lid which made a sort of resonant chamber to up the volume. In the truck I have the indicator relay is already mounted inside the cab so no need for that to be done.

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I've had a go too, relay mounted on an old tobacco tin lid - works a treat :) Just wonder what a future owner will think when he finds my contraption :D
Vernon
Minor Fan

Post by Vernon »

"If I recall correctly, a warning light for indicators is required for the MOT, so you must have one of those."

My daughter's warning light was not working but the Minor passed the MOT test because the clicking sound was audible!