Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Wadams
MMOC Member: No

Mightier 1000 indicator problem

Post by Wadams »

Hi Guys
I've just bought a beautiful moggie 1000 that I am delighted with! However, I have just come across my first problem; my indicator lights are not working properly. I am a novice at mechanics/electrics so I was hoping someone can help please?

I noticed that my left hand indicator worked correctly but the right hand one was flashing extremely fast. I bought a new flasher unit and fitted it but now all that happens is that the flashlight comes on but does not flash at all! Can anyone help please?
amgrave
Minor Addict

Re: Mightier 1000 indicator problem

Post by amgrave »

Sounds like one of the indicator bulbs have blown or bad connection to the bulb, have you checked to see if they are all lighting up, per side of course.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

If the indicators were working correctly on one side, then the fault would not be the flasher unit as that operates both sides.
New flasher units are often problematic so best to stick with the original probably.

As said already, the fault is more likely just a faulty bulb or connection on the side which isn't working. Usually a fast flashing on one light is a sign that another light is not working at all so check everything. Old cars like these often suffer from corroded connections :wink:
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Check which bulbs are flashing, if it is flashing too quickly on one side it is usually because one of the bulbs has failed, it is the wrong wattage (5w instead of 21w) or a poor connection to the bulb which is not flashing. With indicator on wiggle the bulb that isn't flashing and check contact in lamp unit. Failing that work your way back from that lamp unit cleaning each connection. I prefer to replace the rubber bullet connectors with new ones, cleaning each bullet as I go along. Good hunting!

Bertie.
Wadams

Post by Wadams »

Thanks for the tips guys. I will do as you say and let you know how I get on.
Wayne
Wadams

Post by Wadams »

Hi Guys
I've just bought all new bulbs and another new flasher unit and will fit them tomorrow. I hope things work properly after this!!
Also, does anyone know if an MG Servo would work if fitted to my 1000 please? The brakes are a bit hairy to say the least and I have this MG Servo I can put on but not sure how effective it would be?
Thanks
Wayne.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Wayne
Well maintained brakes on a Morris Minor are good at stopping the car and will even " lock up" the wheels if you've left it , really late !
It will be different to a "modern " car braking system ( like a lot of other things on a new car). Fitting a servo unit , in itself ,
will not improve things if the basic braking system is " under par ".

Brakes are not things to take chances on...your life and other peoples ' lives , depend on them working properly.

Noticing your " novice " comment in your first post , I would strongly advise you to have an experienced person watching over you whilst you tackle the overhaul / check over . The dangers for the novice are ensuring the right fluid and components are used and assembled in the correct order ,with cleanliness being of the upmost importance. Dirt getting into the system is not helpful. If you are in the slightest doubt , entrust the work to a garage !!
Remember every experienced person was a novice once , we weren't born with a lot of knowledge.

If you post your location...just your nearest town..( not your full address on the Internet ) along side you name , you may be lucky that another member , locally , might offer assistance. You never know , you can only ask.
Once the system is fit for purpose you can decide whether a Servo is required. There are two schools of thought for and against. The bottom line as always is that is your car and your decision.
Bob
Wadams

Post by Wadams »

Hi Bob
Thanks for your advice which is well received. I am lucky enough to have a father in law who is well qualified and experienced in car mechanics to oversee anything I do. I am looking for as much info as possible to help build my knowledge. I have asked around and indeed there are differing views on what is best to do. Safety first will indeed be my watchword! I will also be attending my local mmoc meeting which I'm sure will be really helpful.
Wayne
BLOWNMM
Minor Fan

Post by BLOWNMM »

Hi guys
If I recall correctly the flashing rate of a conventional bi-metalic switched can is dependant on the current drawn ie. more current faster the flashing rate - so if one bulb is blown then less current is drawn by the flasher can and it should operate at a slower rate, if at all. If the flasher can is electronic then the load has no bearing on the flashing rate because the switching rate is determined by solid state electronics rather than a current dependent bi-metal flasher switch. Please correct me if my recollection is wrong.
Bob
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Double post...
Last edited by bmcecosse on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Why did you buy yet another flasher unit - when you had been told the old one is fine? Many new ones seem to be made in tin huts in far away places... You don't tell us if the flashers are now working? It's normal to start a new thread for a new subject - ie the brakes. As others have pointed out - the brakes should lock the wheels at 30 mph on a dry road. They are perfecly satisfactory for any sane Minor motoring. Obviously the later 8" front drums are better than the early 7" drums - which do you have? Overhaul the brakes before worrying about a servo - it's not necessary and doesn't make the brakes work any better.
ImageImage
Wadams

Post by Wadams »

Hi

Thanks to everyone who made suggestions as to how I can fix my indicator lights issue. I am delighted to say that I have fixed the problem! In the end I took all the covers off all lights and fitted new bulbs. I then traced the wiring from the front back to the flasher unit. At this point I found that there were two black earthing wires bolted to the body of the car. I took them off, cleaned them up and put them back on. Bingo! Everything is working perfectly.
Wayne
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Excellent news. Well done. Long may it continue! I don't think those earths have anything to do with the indicator operation but it is always a good thing to check earth points around the car and keep connections clean.