Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
estepona1999
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Wiring diagram 1958 traveller

Post by estepona1999 »

I have a 1958 Traveller and I am ready to fit a new loom,which is made for an alternator conversion,also flashing indicators with trafficators.Wher can I get a good wiring diagram that covers my car and the added alternator and indicators.
Also what would I require in the way of flasher units to work the standard indicators trafficators at the same time? Help please !!
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wiring diagram 1958 traveller

Post by IslipMinor »

For the standard wiring diagram, put 'Morris Minor Workshop Manual pdf' into Google and a free download is likely to be the first item in the list - the website has a sort of 'fishy' name!

There are various ways of doing the wiring for an alternator, depending on whether you are starting with an original dynamo loom, or straight into a bespoke alternator loom. The very late Minors could have had an alternator fitted as original, but they were the Lucas 11AC, which used a completely different wiring circuit to the later 'ACR' range.

For the indicators, the simplest way is to use 2 flasher units, one for the LH and one for RH circuit.
Richard

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

For Trafficator/Indicator wiring diagram see http://seriesmm.mmoc.org.uk Technical Info combined trafficator/indicator wiring diagram
[sig]3580[/sig]
estepona1999
Minor Fan

Post by estepona1999 »

Thanks for the replies,I have a new wiring loom for my 58 traveller wired for an alternator.It is confusing however as I have wiring diagrams for my car and I really believe that for the cost of the loom there ought to be diagram for the car that the loom is designed for,or am I expecting too much.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The workshop manual has diagrams for all different Minors. If you specify the car model and any alterations to the standard wiring then firms such as Autosparks can supply a correctly colour coded loom to your requirements
[sig]3580[/sig]
estepona1999
Minor Fan

Post by estepona1999 »

Thanks Mike,I have bought a loom for my car including trafficators with indicators and also an alternator instead of the dynamo.I bought the loom from Bull Motif so I am not aware of the actual manufacturer.It is a well made loom and the colours are matching the original ones,but there isn't any diagram with it.I am getting there slowly,the rear part is pretty obvious,namely the rear lights,indicators and number plate lights,sender unit.But in addition to that there are two wires come out under where the rear set goes and according to the colours,it appears to be for the trafficators,very odd as I thought the feed for them went up the screen pillar,over the top of the front doors to go down the B post.So why are the two wires under the rear seat?
Another thing is under the bonnet,there is the alternator plug,but coming out of the loom near it are 2 white cables and one white/black.I would say the white/black goes to the coil (cb) side,but where does the other whites go?
The only wiring diagrams I have are from the original workshop manual.and they only show a dynamo.I just wish I could have a diagram showing the alternator and electronic distributor. Sorry to go on so much but I am just struggling a little.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

If you lay the new loom out on the floor you should be able to identify the terminals. The colours should not change between models so it becomes a matter of elimination. If the original loom is plastic coated then you can strip it down for spare wires. If it is a mass of black wires then you may as well bin it.
[sig]3580[/sig]
estepona1999
Minor Fan

Post by estepona1999 »

jThanks Mike,I have got the loom into the car,with different parts in the correct location,ie under bonnet,under the dash,but I still have a couple of stray cables such as the two in the rear end which according to the colours are for the trafficators,I don't understand them and coming out of the loom with the alternator plug are 2 white and one white with black,I am not sure where to put them at the moment.This is what I am referring to,the rest seem reasonably straight forward.
estepona1999
Minor Fan

Post by estepona1999 »

Hi Mike,I contacted Bull Motif to ask who manufactured the loom and they said Autosparks.I rang them to ask them about the two wires coming out of the loom where it would be under the rear seat.After a good discussion they said they shouldn't be there,so I can either send the loom back to them which I didn't want to do as a lot is connected so they said cut them off and tape it up !!.They would have changed the loom so they were being more than fair.so that bit solved !!Just found out about the 2 white wires and the white with black wire.One of the two white wires has a very faint line on it when looking close with a lamp,that means that ,the one with a fait mark on it should mean it is another white with black,so with the meter I now find they are the same wire,one end on the coil the other on the distributor,leaving the other plain white for the other side of the coil,just a poorly marked white with black.Sorted!!