Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngb506
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Fuel pump?

Post by youngb506 »

My original spec early 1000 started cutting out when coming to a stop or if driving I press in the clutch and hold it there. Driving and accelerating don't seem to be affected. I thought it my be a fuel pump problem because things improved for a while when I cleaned the points. Rob reckons not because it should run for a minute on what's in the float chamber even if the pump cuts- seems reasonable. He thinks it might be an over rich mixture. I've not noticed the problem when the engines cold. It's started to get worse and yesterday it was very difficult to re start. Would be grateful for any opinions. I don't run a modern car and at the moment my Bedford ca is less than reliable!
Barry
youngb506
Minor Friendly

Re: Fuel pump?

Post by youngb506 »

No cutting out today but I did notice the spark plugs were white and the manifold nuts were all loose. Perhaps this was the problem all along.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

if the manifold nuts were loose this will be affecting the mixture , take the car out for a fun and then take a plug out and have a look it should be biscuit brown colour if so its fine . its getting too much air if the buts are loose and sending the setting all out of kilter let us know the results
[sig]5641[/sig]
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

Is it better with the manifold nuts tightened up? That might sort it. Otherwise, I would be thinking servicing - new plugs and points, properly gapped, and check the mixture too. A car in need of servicing will often cut out when the revs drop suddenly (e.g. stopping at a junction). Let us know how you get on.
youngb506
Minor Friendly

Post by youngb506 »

That seems to have done the trick. Driven about 40 miles in the last couple of and it's not cut out once. I shall have to have a look at the colour of the plugs now. Can't believe I've been driving this Minor for more than 20 years and no memory of having ever checked the tightness of the manifold nuts!
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

glad that was an easy fix :D
[sig]5641[/sig]