Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Trafficators

Post by Richard Leslie »

My 1957 convertible is fitted with Trafficators but de-activated and sealed, to prevent water ingress, by a previous owner. It is now fitted with Flasher units.

I would like to re-instate them and was wondering if anyone had attempted this project. Can I put them back into service and still use the flashers or is it one or the other.

I'm not sure if the wiring is still in place as I don't want to break the sealing if it's a non starter.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rick A
KeithL
Minor Fan

Re: Trafficators

Post by KeithL »

Rick,

Our 1959 Traveller has both indicator lights front and back and working trafficators so yes, it is possible. It was done using a couple of relays from a Ford Mondeo so the trafficators don't keep flicking up and down as the lights flash. However, they were in place when we bought the car and so I cannot give you wiring diagrams etc., only encouragement that this can be done and you are not wasting your time.

It's worth doing as although a Morris Minor on the road appears to be totally ignored by the majority of drivers, the trafficators almost always attract attention and most stops at traffic lights where we are turning are accompanied by much pointing by the occupants of surrounding cars.

Good luck.

Keith

Boomlander
Minor Legend

Post by Boomlander »

If you still have the trafficator switch installed it is simply a matter of reconnecting power from the fuseboard to the switch and one wire from each switch output terminal to the two trafficator units.
Attachments
SD84 Wiring Diagram.jpg
SD84 Wiring Diagram.jpg (111.43 KiB) Viewed 4273 times

firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

If you do re-instate the trafficators it is worth considering replacing the festoon bulbs by LED ones which flash. (Flashicators) This increases their visibility considerably. I was in a convoy of 6 minors the other day, going through the Suffolk countryside on a fairly bright day and 3 of us had flashing trafficators. I could see the ones in use two cars in front (Convertible) without difficulty. The car behind mine commented on the brightness of my trafficators (4 door so higher up)

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php

and a video of them in use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLwsOD ... e=youtu.be

It isn't clear how yours are sealed. Some people with two doors / convertibles screwed a plate on using the existing trafficator mounting holes. The 4 doors were more difficult as the mounts were internal in the B post and the screw option meant tapping new holes,
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard Leslie »

The units are sealed up with what looks like clear bathroom sealant .

Does the wiring usually run under the sills ?? .There is certainly no additional switch to operate them so I assume they were operated by the stalk on the steering column.

Rgds Rick
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Originally they were on the horn stalk on a 1957 model. I am not sure where the wiring ran. On my 4 door I think it came down the door pillar so possibly in the roof lining, but on a 2 door this is not an option.

the 1957 had no light on the stalk (see below) and the speedo has two lights at the top, one for full/ dipped beam and the other 'ind' usually orange. Slightly later models had the light on the casing.

If your indicators are now wired into this, it is a simple matter to wire the trafficators up to an additional and almost period, teardrop switch as above. It may be that a later stalk has also been put in as I have seen on quite a few models. In fact I have seen post 62/3 indicators switch on one side of the steering column and pre 62/3 on the other
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (6.29 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (5.01 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

There are other posts on this topic on the forum which may take you further forward (?)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43531

or even the alternative forum

http://www.morrisminorforum.com/phorum/read.php?2,5175
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Section N 29 page 32 on the Workshop manual (AKD530) has some hints and seems to back up the 2 door loom coming back on itself from the boot to feed the trafficators. It would only have been one wire as the other connection would go to earth

https://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk/mem ... manual.zip
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard Leslie »

Greetings, last year you very kindly gave me some advice on re-instating my Semaphores . Wall I've now done it, cleaning out all the old Silastic which was used to seal them in. I'm using a separate switch from the Flashers wand and everything looked ok but for some reason the l/h one won't come up.

There is power to the units and it will raise if given a little encouragement ( not recommended I know ) . It goes down ok but won't come back up. I did interchange them but then neither worked.

Any suggestions as to what I can do without having to buy a new unit.

Rgds Rick A
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Take the faulty trafficator out of the car and try it wired directly on a battery. If you get the same result the trafficator is faulty and might require replacement although proper cleaning and lubrication might help it.

If it works alright on a battery then the problem must be the wiring - either the supply or, more likely, a poor earth. The trafficator relies on metal to metal mounting for an earth so make sure the mountings are all clean, bright metal OR add an earth wire.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

It should be entirely possible to get a trafficator to earth properly without resorting to an earth wire if all mountings and connections are clean. Often the trafficators themselves need cleaning up to create a good earth - the plunger may need a bit of rubbing down with fine emery paper and oil to clean off any surface rust and old, hardened oil deposits. WD 40 can help both clean and lubricate the plunger mechanism if used sparingly. The little hinges should also be lubricated as per the Driver's Handbook and Workshop Manual.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

To be clear - and I can't seem to edit my post :-? - cleaning of the plunger rod is nothing to do with ensuring a good earth. Its just that a dirty/corroded plunger rod is another factor which can prevent the proper operation of the trafficator. As well as making sure there is a good earth, there must also be a good, clean connection where the live wire feeds the trafficator with power.
Richard Leslie
Minor Friendly

Post by Richard Leslie »

You may (or may not ) be pleased to hear that with all the guidance given my trafficator are now working perfectly . Many thanks to all who contributed. Even my MOT guy was impressed...................
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Definately pleased - glad to hear they are working again......they are mad, but magical things....... especially at night! :)