Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngb506
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wipers suddenly coming on

Post by youngb506 »

Strange problem with the windscreen wipers coming on when switched off. Usually for a few wipes, sometimes more. Often seems to happen when turning right. Thought it might be the switch so changed it without solving the problem. Can't see a problem with the wires going into the wiring loom or emerging from the loom and going into the wiper motor. Obviously an electrical problem of some sort. Any ideas anyone?
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Re: Wipers suddenly coming on

Post by greendefender123 »

Bad earth somewhere.
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

I’ve never worked on the minors wipers.
Unusually they supply the 12V feed to the motor and switch the earth. Normally with wipers that don’t stop or start on their own it’s to do with the park switch.
So it’s worth checking the wire for damage that goes to park switch located at the centre of the round cam gear section of the motor or give it a prod around that area with ignition on to see if wipers start.
Because they switch the earth if the wire to the switch rubs through to the chassis somewhere the wipers will start.
Someone will be along shortly if there is a common issue.
Regards John
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

It's definitely a stray earth, which is effectively taking the place of you operating the switch.
As it's causing more than one cycle of the wipers to occur, it doesn't sound like a momentary thing.
As you say it's 'often when turning right' then I'd be concerned that something is moving when you do that and causing the individual cable, or the section of loom to be rubbed or pinched.
I assume you've got the motor under the bonnet and not an early one behind the dash?
You're looking at doing a finger-tip examination of the wiring until you find the culprit.

StillGotMy1stCar - There's a park switch? I though you just had to be careful switching them off at the right time! :)
Basil the 1955 series II

StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Self park added Oct 56 with Minor 1000.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

StillGotMy1stCar wrote:Self park added Oct 56 with Minor 1000.
That explains it... :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II