Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chief
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

indicator stalk - self return?

Post by Chief »

Hi,
Okay not so very long ago I got a new indicator stalk assembly off ebay. It works perfectly except for one thing. It doesnt return to off, it switches off after you've turned, but it doesnt go back down to it's neutral position. The person who fitted it for me says with more use (it being stiff and new) it will start self returning, but I wondered what anyone else thought?
The old stalk assembly (which was very old and eventually broke) did self return so I wondered whether it is a 'newness' thing or if there's something that needs to be done to make it self return. As I said the indicator itself works fine but I just find it a nuisance having to flip it back down or up all the time :D
rayofleamington
MMOC Member: No

Post by rayofleamington »

Well if it turns off after you've turned, should I take that to mean that it tries to self cancel but stops half way?
If so then it could just be newness and I'd try some WD40.

However whilst the housing is off again I'd make sure that the pip/lump is out far enough to make it work correctly and that the switch assembly is correctly aligned with it.

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It could be that the cover (or fairing depending on your terminology) is fouling the stalk, it can be a very close fit. The cover is held in place by three small screws. Try loosening them slightly to get some adjustment, or removing the cover completely (need to take steering wheel off).
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

The person who fitted it for me says with more use (it being stiff and new) it will start self returning, but I wondered what anyone else thought?
I cant believe the person who fitted it could say that, what did they do when the car was new, follows Rays diagram I bet its not been positioned correctly.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
57traveller
Minor Addict

Post by 57traveller »

I agree Kevin. I recently fitted a new assembly to my Traveller and the same happened. After lining up the "lump" and "probe" it should work fine. Only needs to be a gnats out because the "lump" end is rounded and the "probe" is not too thick.
Slacken the clamp marked "undo this" and move the outer sleeve to line up.
ColinP
Minor Addict

Post by ColinP »

Second that - I took off the plastic cover to get the driver's glove box out, now it only self-cancels on RH indicator.

I'll sort it eventually!

Colin
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict

Post by brixtonmorris »

every good mot man will check your steering clamp bolt to rack every time you visit.
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

ah well self cancelling indicators has jumped down my priority of things to do, mainly because the sun is shining, the day is calm (been waiting over 2 weeks for this day to come) and I can get on with priming,painting, derusting and so on :D