Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stuart_k
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Horn push frustration

Post by stuart_k »

I had a few little jobs to do today and one of them was swapping the late steering wheel for a banjo type. Whilst I had the steering wheel off I attempted to adjust the indicator assembly to see if I could get the self cancelling mechanism to work as it currently does not. All I did was loosen the screws holding it on and slid it further up the shaft and retightened. I then put on the new banjo wheel, inserted the horn push and tested it. Nothing. Nada. Drat I thought, perhaps I don't have all the components required in the horn push. No time to research that just now so I'll put the old wheel and horn push back on and come back to it later. However after reassembly using the original wheel and horn push I still have no horn. The courtesy lights still work and the fuse is intact. If I short to earth the nipple of the horn contact that is in the centre of the steering shaft, I still have no horn. All other electrics are working.

Any idea what I could have done to upset the apple cart? :oops:

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Horn push frustration

Post by ManyMinors »

I imagine the horn contact (which is also part of the indicator stalk) is no longer making contact with the brass ring on the steering column? Otherwise possibly a wire has come disconnected?
stuart_k
Minor Fan

Post by stuart_k »

That was it thanks. I had no idea how the horn mechanism worked. All working now.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Excellent. Well done. The workings of the horn are exactly the same regardless of which steering wheel you fit - provided you have the correct hornpush for the steering wheel of course.