Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BIGRAB
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

USA CLASSIC - HELP

Post by BIGRAB »

Good afternoon,

Hope nobody minds me making this post since it's not Minor related.

I'm the proud owner of a Morris Minor but my son has bought and imported a 1950 Plymouth Super Deluxe from the states.

A nice big cruising car but I need a little help.

The car runs on 6 volt (positive) and has the brake lights mounted very low and since running on 6 volts they are a bit on the dim side.

I've been trying unsuccesfully to locate a 6 volt hi intensity brake light (LED ??) that mounts at the back window which would bring into the eye line of vehicles behind.

If push comes to shove was going to get an old type rear fog light and mount but think it may also be dim due to the 6 volts.

Want to keep the car original therefore 12 volt conversion not being considered.

Any ideas ????

Regards
neilmorey
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: USA CLASSIC - HELP

Post by neilmorey »

This should be a good source for 6v bulbs.
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyleds.htm

I made high level brake lights for my traveller using motorcycle tail lamps. They were a Chinese import and used an unusual bulb fitting but got them eventually.

Similar lamps here, but also have a look at eBay once you've found a suitable design. http://www.bikermart.co.uk/motorcycle_rear_lights.asp
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Have you checked the running battery voltage to start with? The power in a battery is current, not so much voltage (though this gives a good indication), and 6v systems are naturally limited. I would also check the lamp fitting terminals and earth as these have a big effect on efficiency. As long as they light up I would keep it standard. Can you post a photo or two? Great old cars and very nice to see.
ferret76
Minor Fan
Location: MMOC Tropical Research Division Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
MMOC Member: No

Post by ferret76 »