Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Dynamo fan

Post by RobThomas »

Rattling again. :evil:

I've just replaced the front bearing in the C39 dynamo and the fan section seems to have suddenly gone loose and spins. Normally I'd just tighten the fan pulley nut down but then I thought..."Why not just leave it off?"
Some of the Dynamos were made with no ventilation whatsoever so surely the fan isn't a super-critical part.
Any thoughts before I whip it off and bin it? The tractor versions have an 11 amp restricton in their system so that they can be waterproof

Ta.

Rob
Cardiff, UK
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Dynamo fan

Post by taupe »

Did your dynamo have a distance collar which you needed to remove to fit the bearing and you have forgotten to replace?

Taupe
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Yes, it had one and it went back on OK. I'm wondering if it has bitten the middle out of the fan section from fatigue following the ball bearing collapse. If so, that fan is probably 'toast'. 15mm ID, aren't they?
I haven't got my mitts down there yet since I had a nice new uniform shirt on today.
Tomorrow Russ is coming round to play so I'll have some grubby kit on. :D
Cardiff, UK
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Gave the nut a half turn. Stiff as a board so maybe the pulley has settled further down the shaft. Wobble gone!
Meanwhile the 1962 heater fan started to sound like the fan was rubbing on something. Turns out, after stripping all the gubbins off of the parcel shelf etc that the wires from the switch were touching the fan blades. All that effort and all I needed to do was pull the cables tighter through the grommet. Grrrr.
Cardiff, UK