Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Leyland
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Wiper motor - angle of sweep

Post by Leyland »

Hi all
I have just come to fit the wiper arms and blades to my rebuilt car. It is a 1962 model with clap hands wiper. However, the wipers go clean off the screen in both directions. I know a Lucas DR3A unit was fitted from car no 939695 and mine is 980342.
I picked up a NOS DR3A unit some years ago, but I have now noticed one of the numbers on the unit is 01-71. Is that the year of manufacture.
Am I correct in thinking the later cars had a different angle of wipe (greater angle) I think mine should be 100 deg. Have I got the wrong unit fitted?
Help and advice appreciated. Ty
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wiper motor - angle of sweep

Post by simmitc »

You can swap the gear from your old motor. Lift off the cover and the angle can be seen stamped on the wheel. Both wiper motor and spindle box gearing will affect the sweep.
Leyland
Minor Fan

Post by Leyland »

Unfortunately I do not have the original motor. I am starting from scratch.
I understand that the very early DR3 (1961/62) was fitted with 100 deg gear then later ones a 120 deg. I must have a 120.
Is it possible to change the gear if I could get one. Got to do something as no wipers.
Ty
don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by don58van »

Both wiper motor and spindle box gearing will affect the sweep.
simmitc raises an important point. If someone has changed the spindle boxes, they might be the problem and not the drive gear. I would suggest checking the drive gear first to establish its sweep specification. If it is correct, then the spindles are the problem. If the latter is the case, the best solution might still be with changing the drive gear. It is a matter of matching the drive gear and the spindles to yield the right sweep.

Just some food for thought.

Don
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

New and reconditioned wiper motors were generally supplied WITHOUT the gear wheel because the same motor fitted a good many different vehicles. The gear wheel was then swapped from the old motor to the new one. If your replacement motor was intended for a different model it will indeed have a different gear inside. Just remove the 4 screws on the top and the specification will be stamped into the wheel. That's the first thing to do as others have said. The correct gear wheel might not be the easiest thing to find as it was not in use for very long. Good luck anyway.
Leyland
Minor Fan

Post by Leyland »

Thanks everyone for advice.
Ty