Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Not charging

Post by alanworland »

Strange things happening on my MM charging circuit. I was running the car in the garage when I noticed the ign light wasn't working and not charging. Investigation showed that the bulb had burnt out, replaced it so then it wouldn't go out! Still not charging.
Removed regulator and found the resistor (mounted behind it) was about 800 ohms instead of 63, so replaced it with a 10w 68 ohm. This supplies the dynamo field coils when the regulator points open.
Still no charge. Spliced the dynamo armature and field connections together at the regulator to check its output and find it generates well - burnt out a headlamp bulb being used as a load!
So I removed the regulator again and buzzed out the fine wire coils on both the regulator and cutout sides, each gives a reading of about 100/160 ohms but I cannot get ANY current to flow through them. Must be going open circuit as soon as it sees any volts.
All this has been working satisfactorily for 65 years, don't make things like they used to.
New regulator on order!

Alan
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Not charging

Post by myoldjalopy »

Indeed, they do not make things like they used to. I doubt your new regulator will last 65 years. In my experience the currently available ones - possibly 'made in a tin hut in a far away place', as one previous poster might have put it - are nowhere near as long lived.