By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Bray engine heater

Post by RobThomas »

bray1.png
bray1.png (1.13 MiB) Viewed 2192 times
Nice little oddity. A 240v/250W engine pre-heater. Plugs into an extension lead and is pumbed into the water hose between rad and waterpump to preheat the water in the engine. Keeps the block from freezing overnight or pre-heats it so you don't need choke in the morning. Rare little 'period' item, eh?
Cardiff, UK
simmitc

Re: Bray engine heater

Post by simmitc »

An excellent find. I've seen modern versions that incorporate a pump to circulate the water as well. I hope that it has a thermostat.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Only 250 watts so it would take maybe 24 hours to boil a Morris engine. :D

I have one for a Jag which can pre-heat the engine to 70 degrees in about an hour. Niiiiiice
Cardiff, UK
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Such things are common in colder climates, such as Canada and northern US States, I wasn't aware they had been available in the UK back in the day...

I guess it depends whereabouts in the UK you are and if you want to venture out in a Moggie in the cold weather... :wink:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/images/7/ ... PP-Bra.jpg
Basil the 1955 series II

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

I use engine pre heaters in my 3 vehicles, I have a 3kw Kenlowe heater in the Morris and Cavalier and a 2kw 'ceramic' unit in my Astra.
I know Kenlowe don't make these any more so if one packs up I will have to source another make.
The 2kw unit was bought off the bay and is considerably smaller so was easier to fit in the tighter engine bay. Both types are pumped and equipped with thermostats.
Wouldn't want to be without them! Once fitted I wondered why I haven't always used them.

Alan
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Mate of mine had one hooked up in his V8 Rover... cheaper than getting the auto-choke working again! 😁
1956 4-door called Max
rogerholman

Post by rogerholman »

Just re-discovered one of these which I apparently bought on a well known auction site a few years ago. Having managed to get it apart, cleaned it and painted it, I thought I might as well see if it worked. To my surprise, it works! started to heat up immediately, and didn't trip the garage electrics.

In my youth I spent a winter in Norway, all the cars there had an electric cable coiled around their wing mirror. Now I know exactly what it was for.

I am not a Moggie owner, I have an RM Riley, teh next job might be to see if I can make it fit.
Mick Lynch
Minor Fan

Post by Mick Lynch »

rogerholman wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:29 pm In my youth I spent a winter in Norway, all the cars there had an electric cable coiled around their wing mirror. Now I know exactly what it was for.
I spent many a year in Norway too, (that’s where I met my wife), but their infrastructure has on street electrical sockets in parking areas, shopping malls and public buildings. It was free too in the 90s. I prefer the upper bonnet connections to the grille ones as I’ve reversed being still attached more than once!

Now living in Canada it’s impossible to buy a car without one now. That’s what this is dangling, it supplies a water heater and circuit pump, plus it runs a 2A onboard trickle charger. Essential if you park outside.

Heated seats, batteries and steering wheels are becoming standard equipment on new cars too.
5B8C8D05-6984-4CA6-8945-A2C40A9E36FE.jpeg
5B8C8D05-6984-4CA6-8945-A2C40A9E36FE.jpeg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 817 times
It makes a big difference and almost instantaneous heat. Better than the ‘remote starters’ (instant carbon monoxide poisoning kit) that start up the vehicle by remote control and let it idle until warm. Doing a cold start in minus 35 sounds awful on the engine.
Attachments
36917DEA-163A-497E-BDDE-2BDE29F960D5.jpeg
36917DEA-163A-497E-BDDE-2BDE29F960D5.jpeg (169.55 KiB) Viewed 817 times