Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Murrayminor
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Indicator issue

Post by Murrayminor »

Hi all
Firstly let me say my knowledge of electrics consist of knowing the colour of wires and the replacement of fuses and I currently do not have a workshop manual to refer to :D

The indicators on my '65 minor 1000 have packed in, There has obviously been an issue as the car previously as there is a modern relay unit tie wrapped to the heater hose!!

The indicators were working but suddenly when turning right the stalk light stayed on constantly, I turned them off and when I next came to use them they wouldn't work.

I have checked all the other probable related items, the rear lights, horn and they are all working.

I don't want to simply replace the sender unit with the proper item if the problem will still be there.

So I'm asking the great and good if there is any mileage in removing the wiper stalk and checking the connections, I have looked at the main fuses and they seem to be fine, although that was at 4am this morning before I came to work so once I get home I will check them again but I'm sure they were all intact.

Assuming the fuses are ok would I be right in thinking a short would blow the sender unit?

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to any replies.

Regards

Dermot.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Indicator issue

Post by ManyMinors »

If the fault only relates to one side then the fault is probably in the wiring or a connection. If you have the same fault on both sides it is almost certainly the flasher unit. The newer ones seem notoriously unreliable.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

The flasher unit I have fitted is a modern plastic square unit, I want to put the original cylinder type back on, are they considered more reliable?
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

The modern electronic versions are thought to be more reliable (better able to cope with any fluctuations in voltage changes ). According to my Electrical qualified mates.
You can obtain square plastic box type or round see through plastic type …….. electronic versions.

If you want "traditional " then the three pin " round metal tin can" type is still available for your late negative earthed car. If you use a recognized Morris Minor Supplier you'll probably be OK. If you go off piste for a cheaper
version that's probably what you'll end up with and you will replacing it again very shortly after.
My favourite mantra when asked for advice on Classic cars is :- it's your car and your ultimate decision as to what works for you !
Bob
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

My 69 Traveller has the old style round can flasher unit. It works fine at the moment but I am considering fitting LED bulbs to the brake and side lights and the flashers.

I think the brake and side lights should just be a simple bulb swap, but I am wondering if I should convert the flasher unit to a solid state electronic one.
My reasoning for this is the amount of current flowing through the bulbs is what makes the bi-metalic strip in the old type flasher unit work properly, this is why when a bulb fails the remaining one flashes at a different speed. LED bulbs will draw much less current and this might cause a problem.

Has anyone else fitted LED flasher bulbs yet, and if so did you need to change the flasher unit as well please.

Thanks
Phil
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Phil
You are correct .Fit a new electronic unit if swapping to LEDs. Something like this : -

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/726
(satisfied customer , no commercial relationship )
Bob
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Phil
I have in the past fitted led bulbs to motorcycles and they do require an electronic sender unit because of the small amount of current drawn by the bulbs so I can only think the same will be true to an older vehicle.
I messed with my wiring and I think I traced the issue back to the actual indicator stalk, I took the cover off and the unit was covered in dust, maybe there was a short in there, once I cleaned it out and gave it a bit of lubrication the indicators worked again so the new flasher unit had not blown after all.
So I will see how things go, but the Gritter went up my street last night so that may mean the end of driving for a while.
Clutch replacement looms....