Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Indicators

Post by arnoldsally »

When I first got my morris minor the indicators stopped working but the flasher on the arm still flashed resulting in getting a horn sounded at me. I went on ebay and got a flasher unit, one that said for classic cars, fitted it and all was well. They stopped working last week after 10 months so I read all the advice on hear which was very helpful. I joined the 3 wires together, operated the indicator arm down and up which made each side light up but of course not flash, that eliminated fuse/bulb etc. Went back to the original supplier and ordered two just in case. Tried both of them this morning and nothing.
Does anyone recommend a different supplier or a way of checking the units please.
Patrick
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Indicators

Post by myoldjalopy »

As identified by 'propshaft' earlier today, the quality of replacement flasher units is not that of the originals. I found a mint nos one at an autojumble and suggest you look out for a good, original one too. Maybe club spares have one?
In terms of testing, if you are now truly getting 'nothing' then there must be a fault in either the fuse, the switch, the wiring or the flasher unit - or all bulbs have failed, which is unlikely. But you say you have eliminated the fuse and bulbs, and the indicator switch seems OK from your earlier test, as do the bulbs, leaving the flasher as the culprit, although it would seem pretty poor if both new ones are faulty.
Are you sure all connections are good and that you have connected the new flashers up correctly?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

If you're not worried about "correct" units then have a look at Vehicle Wiring Products website. They have a range of electronic flasher units that I have used for years without problems. Just pick the right unit and it's a straight swap. Later on I'll see if I can find the part number and post that up.
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

myoldjalopy wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:25 am As identified by 'propshaft' earlier today, the quality of replacement flasher units is not that of the originals. I found a mint nos one at an autojumble and suggest you look out for a good, original one too. Maybe club spares have one?
In terms of testing, if you are now truly getting 'nothing' then there must be a fault in either the fuse, the switch, the wiring or the flasher unit - or all bulbs have failed, which is unlikely. But you say you have eliminated the fuse and bulbs, and the indicator switch seems OK from your earlier test, as do the bulbs, leaving the flasher as the culprit, although it would seem pretty poor if both new ones are faulty.
Are you sure all connections are good and that you have connected the new flashers up correctly?
Thank you for repling.

My last hope was going to a supplier that sold the round metal types and got one from ESM, just fitted it and they work brill. Now I get back on the road after weeks off.

thank you Patrick
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

simmitc wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:43 pm If you're not worried about "correct" units then have a look at Vehicle Wiring Products website. They have a range of electronic flasher units that I have used for years without problems. Just pick the right unit and it's a straight swap. Later on I'll see if I can find the part number and post that up.
Thank you for repling.

My last hope was going to a supplier that sold the round metal types and got one from ESM, just fitted it and they work brill. Now I get back on the road after weeks off.

thank you Patrick
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Glad you got it sorted and that you are back on the road. I hope the 'canister' type one you now have lasts longer than the others. Its a pretty poor show that two of the new-fangled units you bought were useless. I would definately be keeping an eye open for a good NOS one for my box of spares if I were you :wink:
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly

Post by arnoldsally »

myoldjalopy wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:00 pm Glad you got it sorted and that you are back on the road. I hope the 'canister' type one you now have lasts longer than the others. Its a pretty poor show that two of the new-fangled units you bought were useless. I would definately be keeping an eye open for a good NOS one for my box of spares if I were you :wink:
Yes i got a spare off them too.

thank you.

Patrick