Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Fingolfin
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Repro indicator switch

Post by Fingolfin »

Hi all,
Last year I fitted a reproduction turn signal / indicator switch in Mog, as a "Christmas present" (inasmuch as the car can appreciate the gesture...). It's always given me problems, mostly in sloppiness, which became worse and worse until the left turn function failed entirely. So, being a tinkerer, I tore the whole thing down, filed and countersunk and modified to tighten everything up, and managed to fix all the problems; movement in both directions is smooth and solid, and the exterior lights work.

However...I have fouled something up, because the indicator lamp on the end of the stalk illuminates only on the left engagement, not on the right. The exterior lights still light up and the flasher unit clicks cheerfully. If you catch the timing correctly, the stalk lamp will occasionally light up on cancelling the right-hand turn, when the stalk returns to center.

Any ideas what could cause that symptom? My money's on an earth not making contact - but I'm not quite sure how the stalk lamp earths.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

shoebone
Minor Fan

Re: Repro indicator switch

Post by shoebone »

Weird that it would work one way but not the other, I believe the stalk light is fed by the light green wire from the flasher unit and is earthed through the black wire on your repro unit. I would be checking/cleaning connections, especially the earth. I fitted a new unit not so long ago..... Quality is dubious :roll:
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Re: Repro indicator switch

Post by Fingolfin »

Driving to work today, the light did illuminate in the previously-dark direction - but sometimes the light fluttered, was weak. Since it's begun to work, I think I may have introduced a bit of debris or something into the mechanism, which has since (mostly) cleared. 8)

Fingers crossed it keeps on getting better!
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.