Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
will.broad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

S U fuel pump clicking?

Post by will.broad »

I'm relatively new to Morris ownership but was wondering if my fuel pump is clicking too often.
When i'm driving along at around 30mph in top gear it seems to click every second or so like a clock is that normal or is it clicking too often?
If I pull away from stationary it will click really fast then settles down to the clicking every second.

The engine runs smooth and I cannot smell petrol or see any leaks.

I think i'm getting a bit paranoid and am thinking my car is turning into a gas guzzler but maybe its normal?

Sorry if this is a silly question but i'm a bit new to this.

Cheers Will
KeithL
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: S U fuel pump clicking?

Post by KeithL »

That sounds about normal to me.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Me too. If you want to check fuel consumption, fill the car up with petrol and check the milometer reading. Next time you go to fill up, see how much fuel is required to fill it up again, convert the litres into gallons and divide that into the miles you covered since filling up the first time. That will give you the mpg consumption. E.g if you covered 200 miles and used 5 gallons of fuel, 200 divided by 5 gives you 40 miles per gallon. Obviously, this will vary between steady speed driving and lots of gear changing around town, so maybe carry this out a number of times to get an average figure. I get around 40/41 miles per gallon with my 948cc engine.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I'd be very happy with what you've got. Two things that you would worry about: (a) no ticking at all, (b) constant very rapid ticking. You have neither, so relax 8)
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

just its heart beat,when it stops or becomes rapid,thats the time to reach for the defib.
will.broad
Minor Friendly

Post by will.broad »

Thanks for the replies.
I took my 78 year young father out in it the other day and he said he didn't think it should click like that. But the last time he drove a morris van was about 50 years ago
And he couldn't remember it.
I will let him know. Maybe it was his pacemaker clicking LOL.