Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
PhilAllen
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Wiper motor problem

Post by PhilAllen »

I have a problem with my 1969 car's wiper motor. The car has been off the road since about 2003 so things were stuck. I was able to free off the wiper spindles and get everything turning and all seemed well until I realised that there was no self parking when I switched the wipers off.

When I took the cover off the motor the photos show (I hope, not much experience posting!) what I found.
IMG_20190207_193931374.jpg
IMG_20190207_193931374.jpg (894.84 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
IMG_20190207_194020253.jpg
IMG_20190207_194020253.jpg (456.92 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
The photo shows the components I found in the order I removed them - the parking contact at the top. There was no sign of a clip to hold it in place when I think is the first problem. Am I also right in thinking the brass bush should be attached to the arm? It looks like it should be but has come free and has worn the pivot hole in the arm and also the post fitted to the plastic gear wheel.

I think I need a new arm/bush, a clip to hold everything on and possibly a new post and/or gear wheel with post attached. Can anyone tell me where I can get these from please? Also, if I need to remove the plastic gear wheel how does it come off?

Thanks in anticipation,

Phil
King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Wiper motor problem

Post by King Kenny »

It seems to me that if the motor was working but not parking the it is just a matter of resetting the motor. With everything back together as before just loosen the 5 or 6 screw/bolts on the cover plate and turn the round housing (the one with the red wire) until the wipers stop in the correct position. When you have found the right place tighten the screw/bolts and you are done.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

At the very least you will need the clip to hold the contact on the top of the assembly. Without that clip the contact will not stay in place, and that is probably your probem. If you do need to remove the gear wheel then there is a c-clip or extranl circlip underneath the motor. That holds the bottom of the shaft that is attached to gear wheel, and which runs right thtough the body of the motor. I'll try to find the exploded parts diagram that will show how everythgin goes together...
PhilAllen
Minor Friendly

Post by PhilAllen »

Thanks. If you do have an exploded diagram that would be really helpful. I've not managed to find one.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Herewith the diagram and key:
Wiper1.jpg
Wiper1.jpg (1007.44 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
Wiper2.jpg
Wiper2.jpg (944.48 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
Looking at your photo again, I thimk that you do have the clip that holds the contact in place. The contact bears against the underside of the cap, and you rotate the cap to get the correct parking position. Hopefully it will all go back together and then work...
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The brass bush goes into the connecting rod (10)
100_0794.JPG
100_0794.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 1803 times
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Which then sits on the pin that is in the gearwheel
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (133.16 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Then the contact sits on top
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (87.88 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
At this point the clip is added, but in this example part of the pin is broken, and so the clip cannot be fitted, but at least it shows what should happen. The clip can be seen towards to top left of the earlier picture, just resting near the edge of the gearwheel.

Different sweep gearwheels are basically all the same, except the further away from the centre the pin is then the longer the sweep.
PhilAllen
Minor Friendly

Post by PhilAllen »

Thanks, that's just what I needed.

It looks like the arm comes with the brass bush attached. I took the photograph with it the wrong way up, the other end does look like it once had enough metal to be riveted to the arm, sadly it doesn't any more. That end of the arm is no longer round either, so I think a replacement arm is going to be needed.

I don't have the clip, I've double checked. I think it may look like it on the photo but its just the earth contact in shadow at the bottom. And you're right - it won't make contact with the cap without the clip, so no self parking.

I saw an old wiper motor on a well known auction site for £20 so I've taken a gamble on it having the parts I need. I'll update this once that's arrived to let you know if I've fixed it or not.

Thanks once again,

Phil
PhilAllen
Minor Friendly

Post by PhilAllen »

My 2nd wiper motor arrived today. Very rusty and dirty on the outside but the inside contains an arm with the bush attached and the black clip so I have what I need to fix my original motor.

Does it matter much what sort of grease I use when reassembling? I was assuming ordinary LM grease, but then thought it may be something else.

Thanks,

Phil
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

LM will be absolutely fine. Well done on sourcing bits.