Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
edd_barker
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

electric temp guage with no V regulator

Post by edd_barker »

Hi all,

I have had a good old search of the electrical forum, but cannot quite find the info that I need.

Mine is a 1959 Minor still with original, gold-faced speedo, which I believe means that there is no voltage regulator.

My mechanic (did his apprenticeship on Minors so unlikely to be a duffer) has fitted a new electrical water temperature gauge for me, as the Smiths gauge previously fitted was hugely under-reading. I fear that some of the ether may have escaped when it was removed during the engine rebuild. He has taken the feed off of the fuel gauge, however it seems that the temperature gauge is over-reading, it is idling around 120 degrees. I am sure he has tested the actual temp, but I will do so with a kitchen thermometer on Monday when I collect the car!

He has suggested that this over-read is due to a lack of voltage regulator. What is the usual course of action for this problem, assuming that others have encountered it before? I have only basic electrical knowledge, so any baby-step info would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Edd

EDIT#

Having changed my search to voltage stabiliser, I have found this:

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/61 ... fkEALw_wcB

If I fit this between the feed from the fuel gauge and the temp gauge, will that work? I think I could just about manage a couple of spade connectors!
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: electric temp guage with no V regulator

Post by Owlsman »

I had the self same problem 2 or 3 months ago and following a recommendation on here I used this :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Semiconducto ... :rk:4:pf:0

I works a dream. Is easy to fit, comes with full instructions and is available for both positive and negative earth. Sorted.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

edd_barker
Minor Fan

Post by edd_barker »

Excellent, I will order one and give that a go.

Many thanks for the tip!

Edd
edd_barker
Minor Fan

Post by edd_barker »

Good afternoon,

I have purchased the suggested device, which appears to be ideal for the job. Could anyone let me know a recommended place to earth it?

Currently my temp gauge is in the drivers side glovebox door, so access to drill inside is quite limited! That is assuming I need to mount it to a section of clean bodywork, or can I take an earth from elsewhere?

As I said, not an electrical expert, but I can manage a spade connector if push comes to shove!

Thanks,

Edd
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I'm no electrics expert either...….. (not an expert anything, really)…...but you can earth it to any 'clean' i.e. paint free part of the bodywork. From memory on mine, there was already a hole drilled in a discrete part under the dashboard and I actually used a small nut and bolt and fastened the earth wire with a 'ring' connector which I thought was slightly more secure than a spade connector.