Rear brake light issue

Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
hindssc
MMOC Member: No

Rear brake light issue

Post by hindssc »

I'm betting there's a simple answer to this, but here goes...

I seem to have a problem with both my rear lights on my 1967 convertible. It appears that the brake element and the normal light element have reversed. When the lights are switched on the large element glows bright, when the brake pedal is pressed the smaller dimmer element lights up. there's bound to be a simple explanation and so i thought i'd ask here before taking more drastic action. i'm no electrical engineer but my basic knowledge of brake light brightness tells me what i currently have is wrong.

Anyone suggest what might have happened?

cheers....
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Rear brake light issue

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

It sounds like the wires have been put in the wrong bullet connectors in the boot, should just be a matter of swapping them over. Red for side lights and from memory green and purple for brake lights.

Too many Minors so little time.....
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Have a look on the right hand side, that's where the wires from the fron of the car emerge. The single red wire and the single green/purple wire from the front should go into a double bullet connector with the same colour wires. From there, one wire goesd to the right hand lamp and another goes across the boot floor to the left hand lamp. The fact that both lamps are reversed suggests that it's the double connectors at which you need to look.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Is it possible to fit the bulbs in 180 degrees out?
Thereby reversing the contacts...

John :wink:
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Only the very earliest cars has bulb holders that took "Parallel Pin" bulbs that could be placed the wrong way round. I have one set of those and adapted later holders into them, having been annoyed at the potential for confusion.
Cardiff, UK
hindssc

Post by hindssc »

Thanks for the replies. Over the weekend i had a look at the connections and there is definitely a mix up with the connectors. i have the red wire connected to the green wire. i can only imagine the lads at the garage that did the MOT recently had the connections off and put them back incorrectly. anyway i've not changed them yet as i wasn't sure but these replies have confirmed that's where the issue is. will have another play around tonight.
cheers.....shaun
hindssc

Post by hindssc »

So after a weekend of connecting and reconnecting and through a process of elimination the light brightness issue is solved. however there is a new development. now the brake lights will only light if you depress the brake pedal super hard to the floor. brake with normal pressure and the connection is not made and the brake lights remain off. sounds like its the switch near the brake pedal, is it accessible and does it sound like it's a connection issue with the light circuit or something more sinister - thanks again for any advice.
cheers....shaun
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The brake light switch is located at the front of the car to the O/S of the front cross-member. The switch's are known to be problematic.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=image ... Xg4mxDfvyM:

The switch is to the middle left in the link above.

hindssc

Post by hindssc »

aah ok, that's useful. i just checked mine and it's mounted near the front as it happens. it does have the servo upgrade maybe that's a factor too???
is replacing it straightforward or do you have to bleed the system after etc.
thanks

philthehill wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:01 pm The brake light switch is located at the front of the car to the O/S of the front cross-member. The switch's are known to be problematic.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=image ... Xg4mxDfvyM:

The switch is to the middle left in the link above.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Unbolt it and stuff the new one on. It should be a taper thread so you don't need to super-tighten it. Just a gooood nip. Tiny air gap can be helped by squirting some fluid up inside the switch before fitting. Not the end of the world if you don't.
Did the same last week for the same reason and didn't even need to bleed it.
Cardiff, UK
hindssc

Post by hindssc »

cheers rob, do you think that because it does work if i press hard enough that it is the switch that's the issue? could it be something else? i'm no mechanic so sorry for the daft questions. i guess my logic says if it's the switch it either works or doesn't. any thoughts?

RobThomas wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:47 pm Unbolt it and stuff the new one on. It should be a taper thread so you don't need to super-tighten it. Just a gooood nip. Tiny air gap can be helped by squirting some fluid up inside the switch before fitting. Not the end of the world if you don't.
Did the same last week for the same reason and didn't even need to bleed it.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

It's a pressure operated switch,these have far-east replacements which can go "stiff" and need more pressure to operate...I had one and decided to fit a micro-switch on the pedal itself , I'm a happy bunny now...

John :wink:
hindssc

Post by hindssc »

switch replaced despite reluctance of old switch to part company with the car.
anyway - all resolved and brake lights working perfectly again.
cheers.