Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Electronic ignition

Post by arnoldsally »

Just fitted the Sparkrite SX4000 Electronic Ignition conversion kit for Classic Cars £30 and it took me 20 minutes. The car seems to be running much more smoother. I like the idea of being able to switch back to points if something goes wrong.

Patrick
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Electronic ignition

Post by oliver90owner »

Apart from the fact that heel wear on the contact points will alter the timing over time, they also try to bull readers into thinking the points open further as the heel wears - patently not true! That, or whoever wrote the splurge, is an idiot!

As an electronic alternative to the Kettering system, they are a definite improvement. I fitted a home-built capacitive discharge system back in the 1970’s. I suspect this is a similar type, though using rather more modern circuitry and likely reactive than capacitive in operation.
arnoldsally
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Electronic ignition

Post by arnoldsally »

oliver90owner wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:25 pm Apart from the fact that heel wear on the contact points will alter the timing over time, they also try to bull readers into thinking the points open further as the heel wears - patently not true! That, or whoever wrote the splurge, is an idiot!

As an electronic alternative to the Kettering system, they are a definite improvement. I fitted a home-built capacitive discharge system back in the 1970’s. I suspect this is a similar type, though using rather more modern circuitry and likely reactive than capacitive in operation.
Ok, thank you for the info.