Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Cleaning wiring harness

Post by ianmack »

I’m about to install a wiring harness, in good condition but very grubby. Years ago I was told that you can put them in a washing machine, but I’m not sure about this. Has anyone tried it? Or is it a daft idea?
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Cleaning wiring harness

Post by mogbob »

I've always opted for a new harness.. when the car goes up in smoke from 50 year old faulty wiring .. that's the time to ponder whether saving a few pounds was a worthwhile decision.
Back to the question , I've heard of people cleaning the fabric cloth of the loom with mild soapy water and a cloth / nail brush ( drying it with an old towel as they go ) but never sticking it in the washing machine. Total immersion in water ? Sounds like it would need a long session with the hair drier afterwards , even on a hot sunny day. Elimination of corrosion at the connectors and capillary action sucking water up between the strands of 50 year old copper wire. It's probably started tarnishing for the first few inches / centimeters anyway !

Stick me down for the Daft Idea camp , unless somebody else could persuade me otherwise.

Bob
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

Thanks Bob. I also asked this on another forum and the response was unanimous, bad idea. The wires and connectors are all good so I’ll just gently clean the visible section of sleeve under the bonnet.
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by taupe »

Steam clean..borrow a household one or wallpaper steamer..soap it up and wash/steam it off for a concourse look :wink: