Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Rabbitt
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

New Temperature Gauge - suggestions please

Post by Rabbitt »

I've researched a whole lot of info but haven't made a decision yet .. but it looks like the most straightforward way to go is to purchase an entirely new gauge with compatible sender included , and use a top-hose sender adapter. The car is a 1957 803cc split-screen with gold-face speedo and positive earth. Can anyone confirm if the car being positive earth mean I cannot fit a modern gauge (since they are likely negative earth?.) I have mentioned that I have a NOS Smiths gauge circa 1966 - that I could use , but these require a V regulator + new sensor anyway. So I think I'll just go down the "new" track .... are there any issues involved that prevent doing so ?
neilmorey
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New Temperature Gauge - suggestions please

Post by neilmorey »

Can't answer your question about compatibility with +ve earth but all wiring diagrams seem to show sender going to earth.

I have the Smiths capillary gauge in my car, it is more expensive but adding up cost of electric gauge, sender and voltage stabiliser it may not be that much more?

This seller on eBay has two. Not recommending any particular seller but looks a good price.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smiths-Full- ... ect=mobile

Although that scale doesn't look very useful on a Morris that normally sits 70 to 80 Degrees C.
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: New Temperature Gauge - suggestions please

Post by ampwhu »

I have a temp gauge for sale. its capillary and comes with the thermostat housing and braket for inside the car. complete kit if you like.