Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
gtt1951
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

UFN 456 Electrics

Post by gtt1951 »

My current project was fitted with a replacement wiring loom, but not all auxiliary equipment had been reconnected.
The car is a 1950 Side-valve engined Series MM car, but I'm posting here as there may be a greater "audience".
A number of the wires have "price-tags" on them with legends describing what the wire could be for.
[Example view trying to refit and reconnect the Wiper Motor - new red and blue leads]
IMG_20190501_121849.jpg
IMG_20190501_121849.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 913 times
The indicator wiring is for both Semaphore and Flashing systems, so lots of "spare" wires as this car only has Semaphores.

One of the items that was disconnected, was the Ignition Warning light. I have got the wires back on but there is something odd going on.
When the ignition is turned on, the light doesn't come on immediately, but does start to glow, very dimly, after a couple of seconds.
With the engine fired up, the light doesn't come on until I increase the revs and it gets brighter the faster the engine is running.

The car came with a later C40 dynamo attached (loosely to the mounting bracket with no adjusting bracket connected).
I have flashed the field winding connection to make sure it was the correct polarity for +ve Earth, but this hasn't made any difference to the operation of the ignition warning lamp.
Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks, George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Re: UFN 456 Electrics

Post by gtt1951 »

Additional Info - I've been doing tests with a voltmeter and it looks like it may be the Voltage/Current Regulator as, occasionally, I get a voltage reading on the "green" wire power feeds to the auxiliary kit and a lot of the time, Zero volts.
If it is the regulator, I've got the very early Series MM one - which is only available from ESM and at quite a price!
Unless Club Spares has some, better give Bryan a call.
G.
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Re: UFN 456 Electrics

Post by gtt1951 »

Bought a voltage/current regulator from Bryan (private purchase, not from club spares).
Finally put it into circuit and the power wires now have just over 12V - the original fitted one was cooking one of the coils, as it turns out.
The indicators now work and I'll be able to refit the wiper motor.
Took the car for a short road test in my cul-de-sac and managed to get it up to 3rd gear and did a brake test (after refitting M/C and bleeding the system) - great, the emergency stop worked and everything I had piled up on the back seat lurched off!
Great shame that the ignition switch has now failed and I can't turn it with either key.
Took it out, as the bracket isn't screwed down, and found that the key works if the switch is upside-down!
Can't believe how many things are wrong, or going faulty, with this car. :(
The replacement regulator hasn't got rid of the reverse ignition warning indicator - don't know what is going on here.
George.