Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

main beam warning light

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Hi again people. I removed and sent off my bronze faced speedo for overhaul as odometer wasn't working. On refitting, the dash lights glowed weakly until I mounted the speedo back into the dashboard when they brightened up. Pull the speedo back out and the lights go dull Speedo mounted back in and they brighten up. (bad earth?).
Simultaneously the o/s headlight bulb didn't work on full beam. I already had delivered a set of halogen headlights to upgrade the lighting. I fitted the new units with new connectors but same issues. no o/s full beam and no full beam warning light.
I disconnected the floor dip switch, cleaned the terminals and sprayed wd40 into the foot switch. So, all headlights /full beam now working, foot switch hunky dory but still no full beam warning light. I changed the warning light bulb but still no joy.
Any suggestions greatly received.
simmitc

Re: main beam warning light

Post by simmitc »

The warning lamps need a feed and an earth. The earth is provided through the speedo, and is only good when the unit is connected ot the metal of the dashboard. A poor earth through other circuits gives dull lmaps when the unit is out.

Trace the thin blue/white lead from the main beam warning lamp. It shjould connect to a thicker blue/whjite wire that goes to the headlamps. Likely to be a bad connection. Use a multimeter to check that there is power reaching the bulb, and that the buld is OK - assume that you are testing with the lamp attached to the speedo and that mounted to dash, otherwsie you have no earth for the lamp.
beero
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by beero »

I had trouble with speedo lights and wired an extra earth to the speedo and this cured the problems

wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

Hi Guys and thanks for the replies. It's good to know the speedo unit acts as the earth for the panel lights. so that seems normal.
I'm having a loft conversion done so a tad busy to work on the traveller. I'll report back when I get a chance.
Cheers for now.
wearthefoxhat
Minor Friendly

Post by wearthefoxhat »

At last. I can afford some time on "Dancer." Ref the main beam warning light, there must be a break in the wiring in the loom from the foot switch to the warning light. I think I read on here to take a cable from the blue and white terminal on the foot switch and cut into the cable going to the bulb. So hey presto all is well. My warning light is operational. Now ready for it's mot. will phone in the morning to book it in.