Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Banned User
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Positive v negative earth?

Post by Banned User »

I assume that some of you are scratching your posts onto parchment and having your other half transcribe it into a modern format for posting on the WWW?
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Parchment - to modern for me - I use stone with a Sumero-Akkadian cuneiform text. :D :roll:

And you can now get an app for the text conversion.
Last edited by philthehill on Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I assume that some of you are scratching your posts onto parchment and having your other half transcribe it into a modern format for posting on the WWW?
Actually I post mine off, via a wormhole in time, back to a Medieval Monastic Scriptorium to have them transcribed, as they do a much better job with the artistic big colourful capitals at the start of each sentence.
And then there's all the wonderful extra imagery that you get in the margins, so much better value for your shillings and pence.
Their beer's quite good too............. :D
Takes a little while to get them back though but by then they have aged wonderfully!..........
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The beer or the monks?

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Blimey, who'd have thought a thread about positive v negative earthed electricity and dynamos v alternators would have veered off to discuss the merits (or otherwise) of natural and synthetic *fenestration. :D

*Apologies for using such a fancy word but I'd never heard of it either 'till yesterday when I had to look it up to solve a crossword clue. :oops: May be my one and only chance to use it! Fenestration :- The design, construction, or presence of openings in a building.

So.....back to the topic: Seriously, MANY THANKS indeed for all the contributions which have convinced me to go down the negative earth Dynamator route. There's no rush, as my dynamo is coping well with what it has to deal with at the moment (not a lot, in truth, as there's not even a radio) but I'm thinking that if I, or the next owner, want to have some I.C.E. it's going to be so much easier. I might wait 'till I go to the Classic Car Show at the NEC in November. There could be some 'show special offers'.

Just a word or three 'originality' - perhaps when I refer to it, I really mean 'authenticity'. I have posted elsewhere that, personally, I'm not a great fan of over-modifying classic cars of any make/model but I'm generally happy to have improvements in technology such as electronic ignition, electronic fuel pump and my yet-to-be-installed Dynamator that still look authentic but are less likely to breakdown and/or perform better.

My pet hate is alloy or rostyle wheels on a Moggy - just plain wrong, in my opinion. I'm being deliberately facetious here of course, as we all have the absolute right to do whatever we want to our own cars.

I've been out in Derbyshire today on a near 50 mile round trip and my drum brakes, standard 1098cc engine were perfectly adequate. I drive well within the car's capabilities ie: a bit less speed and a bit more space between me and the car in front, when compared to using my Jazz. You'll notice I 'drive' my Moggy and 'use' my Jazz as most modern cars are basically 'point and shoot', with just about everything switching on/off automatically. That's why I love driving my Moggy but if I drift over a white line, rather than a buzzer on the dashboard to tell me, I have to either notice it myself....or wait for my wife to start screaming! :D

I do agree with the already expressed sentiment that true originality is not physically possible. As soon as petrol is pumped in, the octane rating and overall quality of the fuel (and oil) is much superior to that which was available in the years when most, if not all, of our Moggies were made.

Many thanks again to you all for your advice and technical information...…...and for making it such an interesting and wide-ranging thread. :D
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by ampwhu »

I've got alloy mini lites on my van. The old wheels were corroded and buckled. To me it was an easy option. Modern wheels are stronger, lighter and safer.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

The beer or the monks?
Neither, the beer is well flat, if available and the monks have shuffled off this mortal coil........
The parchment is, however, nicely aged.
Though there is a beer called Grey Ghost, I will have to enquire with them which monastery they belonged to and pay my respects....... :P
In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti.....Amen.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I've got alloy mini lites on my van. The old wheels were corroded and buckled. To me it was an easy option. Modern wheels are stronger, lighter and safer.
In your opinion, which you have a right to.
There is nothing wrong with the original wheels, in my opinion, they have lasted 60 odd years, so can't be that weak. You simply had a battered set.
The originals are not as light as Alloys, granted. But then it's really all down to personal choice / taste.
Best wishes,
Mike.