Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: battery terminal cup connectors

Post by philthehill »

The heat shield tray is an absolute rust trap and should be removed..

Make and attach a heat deflecting plate to the silencer and the rust trap problem disappears.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:23 pm Hi,
Of more concern, health wise, I would have thought, is the asbestos heat shield underneath our cars, between the exhaust and the front passenger floor.
Admittedly it mostly gets damp and covered with oil, which would suppress any dust in normal circumstances, however what about if you need to remove it / repair that panel?
Is there an alternative available and how would you go about safely removing and disposing of it?

I would also mention asbestos in drum shoes at this point, I'm sure the modern replacements don't have any in their make up but there are still some NOS items out there available to fit, I know because I have to admit to buying and fitting a set in the not too distant past.
However with brake drums I would imagine it is more common to find people wearing a mask, especially if there is the risk of any dust being present, regardless of when the shoes were fitted and whether they were from new or old stock.

But people might not consider this when dealing with the heat shield................

Best wishes,
Mike.
Mike
Bottom line with asbestos, be it any type, i.e. Chrysotile (White), Amosite (Brown) or Crocidolite (Blue) is that it is a fibrous mineral. The smallest fibres are invisible to the naked eye and small enough to get into the tiniest of airways in the lungs. From there they cannot be coughed out and cause abrasions and eventually tumours. The damage caused by the fibres can cause fluid to build up in these miniscule airways of the lungs, restricting breathing.
The disease has even been proven to have affected the children of people who worked in asbestos handing industries, e.g. making asbestos cement products, pipe lagging etc.
This is because of the fibres that came home on their parent's clothing.
During the 1980/90s there were several stories/claims circulating (I wonder who might have a vested interest in such claims :roll: ) that White Asbestos, often used in cement fibre products like roof boarding, guttering and boiler flues, was safe because it was attached to cement. These claims were disproven; old, damaged, flaking asbestos cement can release the smallest fibres.
Basil the 1955 series II

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

It was in aertex (not sure of spelling) which went on lots of ceilings during the 70s and 80s.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Bottom line with asbestos, be it any type, i.e. Chrysotile (White), Amosite (Brown) or Crocidolite (Blue) is that it is a fibrous mineral. The smallest fibres are invisible to the naked eye and small enough to get into the tiniest of airways in the lungs. From there they cannot be coughed out and cause abrasions and eventually tumours. The damage caused by the fibres can cause fluid to build up in these miniscule airways of the lungs, restricting breathing.
The disease has even been proven to have affected the children of people who worked in asbestos handing industries, e.g. making asbestos cement products, pipe lagging etc.
This is because of the fibres that came home on their parent's clothing.
During the 1980/90s there were several stories/claims circulating (I wonder who might have a vested interest in such claims :roll: ) that White Asbestos, often used in cement fibre products like roof boarding, guttering and boiler flues, was safe because it was attached to cement. These claims were disproven; old, damaged, flaking asbestos cement can release the smallest fibres.
All in all a very nasty material and your comments have made me feel even more justified in raising awareness of its presence to anyone on here contemplating repairs in this area.
The heat shield tray is an absolute rust trap and should be removed..

Make and attach a heat deflecting plate to the silencer and the rust trap problem disappears.
Do you have any images you could share with us for future reference, this sounds a good idea, certainly better than replacing this item should I have reason to remove it during the course of my refurb.

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

paul 300358 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:44 pm It was in aertex (not sure of spelling) which went on lots of ceilings during the 70s and 80s. Artex don't
It was in so many things that people wouldn't consider.
For example, the old black or dark brown colour toilet seats and cisterns, potentially even the old car switch tops like the Lucas SD84.
Perfectly safe in such products, since their manufacturing process doesn't encourage any dust like surface damage, but you don't want to be sanding them down... Other products are far more volatile.
http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/building.htm
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:50 pm

Do you have any images you could share with us for future reference, this sounds a good idea, certainly better than replacing this item should I have reason to remove it during the course of my refurb.

Best wishes,
Mike.
Mike
I'm not so sure the item is even needed. Basil doesn't have one. see these old topics, it seems several other people don't have on their cars either.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56759&hilit=heatshield
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67894&hilit=heat+shield
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I have read through both posts quoted and am now of the opinion that I shall remove it and dispose of it, though I shall have to look into where I can get rid of it around Mansfield......
As long as the exhaust isn't touching the floor there should be plenty of airflow round it going by what people have said.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:22 pm though I shall have to look into where I can get rid of it around Mansfield......

Mike.
Bet of luck with that particular challenge :evil:
The national approach to waste disposal is just one of the bureaucratic disasters that this country faces.
Like many other waste streams, some councils will take some asbestos products, some for a small fee, some free, others won't take it at all.
Mansfield being Nottinghamshire, you're going to have a problem.
Their website assumes that anyone disposing of asbestos has a 'structure' to dispose of, e.g. a shed or garage, thus they charge £80 to take it.
https://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/wast ... al-booking

I'm down in Leicestershire and they will only take asbestos cement products, at £10 a sheet, or £10 a 'tub' though I have yet to discover what volume a 'tub' actually is..... :roll:
The City of London will take the first 15 sq mtr for free :roll: :roll:

So inconsistent!!
No wonder people end up fly tipping. :evil: :evil:
Basil the 1955 series II

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Thanks for the overview Geoberni.
Frustrated and surrounded by (over) bureaucracy at its finest???............. :evil:............
Based on that I might end up digging a deep hole somewhere in the garden where it will never be disturbed and burying the damn thing.....
Best wishes,
Mike.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Ahhh, but then if the authorities finds out, it could end up with your property being listed as 'contaminated' and you with a whole heap of trouble.

Imagine if you have an old Fire Blanket at home, perhaps in the garage, how do you dispose of it.... It's all completely Barking Mad!
:evil: :evil:
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

As regards a home made heat shield:-

Use two of these 'J' brackets (or similar) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-MINI ... xyWalR1G~x at 120 degrees to one another, at either end of the silencer with a 'U' clamp and fit a flat plate over and around the top of the silencer attaching it to the 'J' brackets with small right angle brackets. Dependent upon the thickness of the plate used you may have to fold a strengthening flange at either side to remove any flexing.

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »