By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Alternator conversion

Post by jagnut66 »

hi
just need a clarification,
if want to buy the alternator conversion kit from ESM and keep the regulator box for the classic look
Hi,
Try this earlier post on the subject, it shows a set of instructions which clarifies what you do with the control box wiring.
Best wishes,
Mike.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65291&p=593543&hil ... am#p593543
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
SriVik
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by SriVik »

jagnut66 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:32 pm
hi
just need a clarification,
if want to buy the alternator conversion kit from ESM and keep the regulator box for the classic look
Hi,
Try this earlier post on the subject, it shows a set of instructions which clarifies what you do with the control box wiring.
Best wishes,
Mike.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=65291&p=593543&hil ... am#p593543

Alright tq
mp166

Post by mp166 »

Can I just add to the discs/drums discussion. The first job when I bought "Gertie" was to convert to discs, I come from a motor racing background and dealing with less than adequate brakes is not a problem, my decision was made by my location, London, home to a million and one idiot cyclists, I will not list the stupidity I see everyday. The drums worked fine, but I find discs just give me the added confidence that when (not if) I need to stop sharply because of an idiots antics I can do so (we also must add zombie phone users to the list as well). I started reading this thread as I was thinking of alternator conversion, but in trying to keep the car as original as possible, my only concession being a phone charger, I think I'll wait and see what happens when I can finally start using her (roll on end of lockdown).
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

home to a million and one idiot cyclists,
I am a regular cyclist but, hopefully, not one of your 1,000,001 crackpots - perhaps we are a bit a bit more sensible outside the London metropolis.... just perhaps? I do know exactly what you mean though. I cringe when I see fellow cyclists jumping lights at junctions and crossings, or using the pavement as an extra lane etc. etc.

There are plenty of idiot motorists as well, many of whom try to make it as difficult as possible for cyclists. As I think I've commented on another thread, 'lockdown' has certainly cleared the roads which makes for ideal cycling conditions......except, for quite a few drivers, who see empty roads as a heaven sent opportunity to see what their cars willy really 'do'!! Including, sad to say, a few classic car owners - not seen a speeding Moggy yet, err, not seen a Moggy at all.

Back on topic - I repeat what may have been missed earlier in this thread that I fitted a Dynamator i.e. an alternator that, for all the world, looks like a dynamo. A bit more expensive than a standard alternator but it looks the part and works a treat.

Love your description of 'zombie phone users' by the way :D . Since retirement most of my cycling now is just locally and jaunts out to the Peak District. When working, I had to commute through the city centre (on my bike) and the biggest single hazard was not buses pulling out, taxis, random car doors opening but zombie phone/i-player morons just stepping out without looking or quite often, looking, seeing me approaching 25 yds away and THEN STILL stepping out.

Stay safe everyone.
Alan
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

I find 'zombie phone users' are just as big a problem on the pavements. On the busy walk through the city centre from the station to the office in the morning I used to play chicken with them rather than step out of their way. Usually a sixth sense would warn them just before collision. The look on their face was always priceless. A bit childish I know, but it helped brighten up what was otherwise going to be a long, boring day.

Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I used to play chicken with them rather than step out of their way.
Ahrr, I too remember the old days.....when you could walk, when and where you wanted. on a pavement............ :D
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

This is starting to sound like the famous four yorkshiremen sketch!,😀
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

This is starting to sound like the famous four Yorkshiremen sketch!,
Well, I say pavement.......it were moor like a single line 'o cobbles wi' Radio-Rental vans whizzin' up and darn't ruad and that were us playground 'n all where we played football wi' a tin can :D
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

Tin can, Tin can :o !!?????

You were loooky :wink: